Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Polaris Pro/SLX plastic hood hinge failures

So as most of you know I did not have the tether attached to my 2001 SLX and I lost my hood when the nose speared a large wave while riding around Harsens Island ... And a go pro camera. Unfortunate yes. It was an excellent condition hood... And new gopro hero 3. But I'm alright.

Both times my hinge has broke in the same place (I did not lose the hood the first time).

My question for others with the same plastic hood hinge design. Where has your plastic hood hinge broken?

Personally I think Polaris fell short on their fix for this problem.... But thats bygones so I continue.

Both of my hood hinges have broken where the bolts from the hood go into the plastic of the hinge... Is this generally the fail point?

I'm working on a little project to strengthen this area but before I do all this work I wanted to see where in fact other plastic hood hinges have broken... And a picture of my most recent broken hinge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1406506874412.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	337127
    Last edited by K447; 07-28-2014 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Clarity

+1
    Sea Doo had the same problem they added a plastic wave deflector in the front of the hood. I have seen Virages hit a big wave and the wave would take the hood right off.

+1
    When mine broke it actually broke the arm not the mounting plate. Someone on here was selling the mounting bracket that you use when you have tripple pipes. It was a little bit of money but I think it would be worth it.

+1
    I have the triple pipe bracket if needed.

5. +1 by:

+1
    turns out you can still get the hinge NEW from Polaris as well, not this is a fix for it not breaking again LOL.

+1
    I would fix the problem you don't want to lose another one, if your planning to keep it for a long time.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Drkvampire2001 View Post
    turns out you can still get the hinge NEW from Polaris as well, not this is a fix for it not breaking again LOL.
    Did you call a dealer?

+1
    Bryan yes I did

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris John View Post
    ... I have seen Virages hit a big wave and the wave would take the hood right off.
    The stock Virage has a flexible metal safety cable between the hood and the hull. That Virage cable seems thinner than the recall kit cable issued for the plastic hood hinge problem.

The actual Virage hood hinge is very strongly built stainless steel so any failures would have to occur where the hood itself bolts to the hinge assembly. I have not had any concerns with my own Virages and have never noticed a problem or cracks with any of the hood mountings.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Drkvampire2001 View Post
    ... I did not have the tether attached to my 2001 SLX and I lost my hood when the nose speared a large wave while riding ...
    When the hood hinge failed the hood and all the contents of the front storage bucket went swimming. The storage bucket and contents were recovered, at least the stuff that could float. The hood sank immediately and could not be seen due to the deep water in the channel.

The hood did hit the rider in the head as it came off, fortunately with only minor injuries. The hood latch was also ripped off.

After we got back to camp some wide Gorilla tape sealed up the area since a replacement hood and hinge were not immediately at hand.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	337188

Lessons to be learned:
    Always install the 2202735 hood safety cable provided by Polaris in the recall kit. It is not optional.

Always wear eye protection. Bugs are not the only things that can hit you in the eye.

Pack valuables in floating containers inside the storage area. Hood hinge failures are not the only scenario where your stuff can end up in the water.

When using action cameras like the GoPro, use a tether to some solid part of the watercraft.

Jumping waves is fun. Sometimes stuff breaks.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information