Got our Waverunners stuck today. Should I check anything?

My wife and I were riding in Galveston Bay today and we were taking a break and had the Waverunners shut off and were slightly drifting. My wife drifted into a sand/mud bar and got her ski stuck. While trying to help her I wound up getting mine stuck as well. I just got off and pushed them both off of the bar and into deeper water. Hers started up and took off just fine but my machine sucked up enough sand and mud to partially stop it up. I shut it off and restarted a couple of time and finally passed whatever was stopping it up. We were on our way back to the ramp so we did not ride much after that.

My question is "What should I check for damage?" I assume they can stand a little mud and sand but I'd like to be sure everything is OK.

BTW they are both 2006 FXHO Cruisers...

+1
    You our may want to start with getting a good flashlight to look closely at the prop, looking for any damage such as chips or gnarled sections on both the leading and trailing edges. If the muck was thick enough to stop the engine then there is a chance the pebbles or other debris chewed up the impeller. Also check the pump veins in the same fashion. Good luck !

Quote Originally Posted by jpsexton View Post
    My wife and I were riding in Galveston Bay today and we were taking a break and had the Waverunners shut off and were slightly drifting. My wife drifted into a sand/mud bar and got her ski stuck. While trying to help her I wound up getting mine stuck as well. I just got off and pushed them both off of the bar and into deeper water. Hers started up and took off just fine but my machine sucked up enough sand and mud to partially stop it up. I shut it off and restarted a couple of time and finally passed whatever was stopping it up. We were on our way back to the ramp so we did not ride much after that.

My question is "What should I check for damage?" I assume they can stand a little mud and sand but I'd like to be sure everything is OK.

BTW they are both 2006 FXHO Cruisers...

+1
    I agree, close inspection of the pump tunnels and impellers for any damage from small rocks. Also be on the look out for any signs of overheating when you get them back out on the water. Hopefully, you dodged a bullet this time.

+1
    Also check the strainer to make sure no holes are clogged.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Nope. Their both broke now. Perfect excuse to trade them in on a SVHO.

Thanks for the replies! Everything looks fine.

I think I'll install depth finders in them. The Texas Gulf Coast is always muddy so you have no idea how shallow you are till it's too late.

+1
    I would be more concerned with the sand that's trapped in the hose or lower manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsexton View Post
    Thanks for the replies! Everything looks fine.

I think I'll install depth finders in them. The Texas Gulf Coast is always muddy so you have no idea how shallow you are till it's too late.
    Just take them to clear lake. That's where I ride.

Thread Information