+1

Yet Another 2003 Polaris MSX 140 to the Polaris Fleet

Found another Polaris MSX 140HO with 157 hours on the clock. 2 Pervious owners took it to two Polaris dealers and they could not find the problem. They told them both it was the flywheel key or the EMM. One even said they put another EMM in and check it. Both would be $1500 to $1800 to repair.

Unsure of the problem and not confident in the dealer owner sold it to me for $700 with a cover.

Symptom was it would start but backfire once and die. I started with the battery, check spark, check the crank index, compression all checked out ok, had the proper voltage on the red/white wire, unplug TPS and CPS. Everything checked out but the EMM. Now if some of you read my last post I have a MSX with hull damage waiting to get repaired so I swapped the EMM and injectors. Success! Started right up, idled great, took to the lake ran at the launch for a few minutes ran great. Took it for a easy ride up river, idled good thru no wake zone, increasing 1/2 throttle was good. Full throttle was good for 500 feet then I would have to return to idle for 50 feet then I can get throttle response all the way up again. Only tried a few times but seemed like it was not getting enough fuel at WOT. If I let it idle it would have enough for a short jaunt. Would fuel pressure drop pf like that? I did not check the fuel pressure because my newly acquired gauge does not have a small schrader valve adapter.
    Any ideas would be welcomed..
    Thanks
    Last edited by jajardas; 07-27-2014 at 10:25 PM. Reason: hit post to soon

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Check fuel pressure.

Actually, don't bother checking fuel pressure. Just do the work to remove the fuel pump and reinforce the internal pressure regulator mounting. I have posted how to do so recently using an NPT thread tap and hose barb.

Backfiring on a Ficht engine is almost always an indication that the EMM needs repair. Unless the EMM has recently been sent to a repair service just assume it needs repair. Typically the C89 capacitor will be replaced, at a minimum. Other internal EMM components may also need replacement to ensure reliability.
    Last edited by K447; 07-31-2014 at 09:28 AM.

+1
    Sent both EMM units out of the ski to Harris at fichtemmrepair.com to upgrade. I hope to prevent a problem on the working one and repair the faulty one. Also I will be doing the reinforcement on the pressure regulator on both with installing the hose barb. Need to acquire the tap for the threads.

Thanks for the continued support.
    PS- That trip looked awesome to MI.

Banned User
    +1
    You should plan on coming out to michigan next year. Its a great time.

+1
    So good to me.

When I get these 2 MSX's back in operation we will have to go for a ride around here in the next few weeks.

JOE

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jajardas View Post
    So good to me.

When I get these 2 MSX's back in operation we will have to go for a ride around here in the next few weeks.

JOE
    We can hit Lake Michigan if you want to.

Thread Information