Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: MSX 140 iceberg

+1

MSX 140 iceberg

Well, after the unfortunate event of my ski becoming an ice berg this past weekend, I have finally purchased and ordered a bearing kit assembly, a drive shaft itself, oil filter, and a rubber spider. Finished draining the fuel and oil tank (did not seem to have any water in it) and will have to put some new fuel and oil back in. I also have to fix the fuel regulator (may purchase that Kawasaki one I have read on a previous form as a fix). Just waiting for the new parts to get in so I can put everything back together and get ripping around! Thanks again to everyone that helped me this weekend!

+1
    I'd still blame Keith for sinking it.....

At least you got some first hand experience on how to deal with a sunken ski, how to operate a 5 man lathe, and not to get discouraged when bad things happen.

Nice to meet you and keep us up to date on progress!!

Banned User
    +1
    Myself and Keith both have not had any luck with the Kawi regulator. I installed one and it runs up to 38 PSI which means its not flowing fuel at all.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Preferred method for repairing or reinforcing Polaris Ficht fuel pressure regulator

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Myself and Keith both have not had any luck with the Kawi regulator.

I installed one and it runs up to 38 PSI which means its not flowing fuel at all.
    Indeed, the Kawasaki 16162-3701 inline regulators seem to be quite variable in terms of the actual fuel pressure result. Some people have had reasonable results, others have seen the installed fuel pressure with the Kawasaki inline regulator at or above 30 PSI, which is much too high.

The stock Polaris Ficht fuel pump has a maximum output pressure of about 30PSI (sometimes a bit higher) when pushing against a complete flow blockage. In a normal and properly functioning Polaris Ficht fuel pump with stock regulator the typical measured fuel pressure is right around 23PSI (engine off or at idle RPM). When the return hose to the fuel tank is clamped flat, preventing any return fuel flow, the pressure at the Schrader valve tee rises to around 30 PSI as the fuel pump pushes against the blocked flow.

It is critical when installing the Kawasaki inline regulator to confirm the correct operating pressures after installation. With Ficht engine cranking or running the measured fuel pressure should not be much more than maybe 25 PSI. If the measured fuel pressure is too high then the Kawasaki regulator is just not working in the manner required for the Polaris Ficht fuel system. Perhaps another example of the Kawasaki regulator would work better, but in my view using the Kawasaki inline regulator is not a consistent repair method. Some work just fine, others do not.

My current recommendation is to remove the entire Polaris Ficht fuel pump and reinstall the factory fuel pressure regulator using a reinforced mounting.

The cotter pin method does work and I still have an installed fuel pump using the cotter pin with more than a hundred running hours since I did that repair.

My currently preferred method uses an NPT-27 pipe thread tap and threaded hose barb adapter. This seems more robust and is the method I used on my recent MSX 140 repair. If done carefully I expect that others will have similar results. With the internal fuel pressure regulator's weight properly supported and the fuel return nipple reinforced I expect others would have similar good results.

Last edited by K447; 07-28-2014 at 10:59 PM.

+1

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    I'd still blame Keith for sinking it.....

At least you got some first hand experience on how to deal with a sunken ski, how to operate a 5 man lathe, and not to get discouraged when bad things happen.

Nice to meet you and keep us up to date on progress!!
    The initial shock out on the water was when I saw the back standing area(?) behind the foot wells under water. It never is underwater like that when you are just floating in one spot in calm water. Then seeing it full of water at the gathering area where all of the other skis are was pretty rough... that's where the initial discouragement was, as the time went on I quickly figured I was in good hands, especially when the guys had it running within a few hours! Thanks again everyone!

Also I decided not to go with the Kawasaki fix, instead I ordered the part needed and should be ready to go on Wednesday. Will update on the status of getting all of the other parts into the machine when it happens

+1
    Mike

you could not have been in better hands. your ski will be up and running again in NO time, cant wait to see ya next year at the gathering.

8. +1 by:

+1
    do it right. the kawi regulator is like a woman.unpredictable
    Last edited by K447; 07-28-2014 at 10:51 PM.

+1
    See below.

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	337429
    The pic is of the added fuel regulator on the fuel line.

So far an external fuel regulator was installed on to the return line of the fuel lines going back into the tank as the original stock one has fallen off. Since I had water in the fuel tank would it be a good idea to add some Isopropyl into the tank to take care of any water that may still remain in the lines? Also, do I need to manually prime the motor ao that there are no air bubbles in the oil lines from draining the tank - I did not remove oil from the oil lines or the filter, only the tank. I believe that should make me a running have my machine running again, unless there are some issues we haven't discovered yet

Is the fly wheel housing easy to check fly water?
    Last edited by Dalts72; 07-30-2014 at 04:08 PM.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information