Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kawasaki ultra 300x problem. 2011

Having issues with one of my 300's

it runs fine on a hose in the driveway... But I'm getting white smoke in engine bay Hard to see the source

put it in the water and it starts up for about a min... Runs perfect & then shuts off
    only way to get t going is to feather throttle... Then it firs up for about 1 second and dies

also... While running on the hose in the driveway, when I rev it up, the black/ grey stripped hose jump as if there was a huge sucking action..... When doing the same with my other 300... Those hoses act as if they see a huge boost... Not jumping like the other ski

could I have an air blockage of some sort in the 1st ski? The hoses do come from the air box....

any advice?

+1
    Sounds like One of your cooling hoses is split or cracked,sc to engine hose or one of the oil cooler hoses...

Good way to diagnose is to ride with seats off near the launch (flat water)build speed to 30-35 mph to build good water pressure and look down and observe and should also see water coming from the right side pisser,you can do with a friend one rides other looks down...

or

Back ski into water ,only have the back of ski so the prop/ intake grate are submerged,leave your rear tie traps on,start ski and rev it good for a minute or two should see water a trickle of some from the pisser and again observe closely use a strong flash light..it's there somewhere.

Those black/gray tubes,Those are suppose to move as you come off the throttle and Throttle body closes the compressed force air circulates thru them back into air box...
    Maybe you just don't notice the tubes jump more than the other..
    Are you getting full boost @ full throttle on the water 15-16 lbs on gauge on both skis?
    Last edited by jetdave56; 07-28-2014 at 08:08 AM.

Thanks Jet dave....I will check out your suggestions this evening
    On a side note.. I did notice a small trickle of water once (while on the hose) on the rear Starboard side of the engine compartment when I rev the engine.... All I need is some sort of hint of where to look and hopefully you have provided this for me!

Stand by!

found a problem X 2

Thanks to Jet Dave, I've found two problems

see pictures attached

2011 300X with 20 hours:
    water box to exhaust hose - had a tear in it that I could fit my whole hand into... and the hose was stretched the full length of the curve

so I decided to take the same hose off my other 2011 300X with 30 hours
    see picture of hose starting to fail ... its is blistered

DOES kawa have a re-call on this... obviously common problem on low hour machine!
    I do not want OEM.... its a 2.5 inch ID hose... and a normal straight rad hose would not have adequate bend radius.... WHAT DO I REPLACE THEM WITH?

lastly.... Would the busted line cause that ski to shut off when in the lake after `1 minute running... yet run forever on the hose? I fear this is not the solution to my shutting off problem....

Again.. THANKS JETDAVE from Canada!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011    20 hours.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	337340   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011     30 hours.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	337341  

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Wow thats a new one. I use viair or similar silicone high temp 4 ply intercooler hose, and have never burnt or blown it out. I have burned up the stock hoses a few times testing different exhaust setups.

Sean

+1
    That's incredible to have two hoses tear or rupture,that is caused by water not getting in there to cool that hose it's either a blocked water box or leaking from somewhere on water box or hose itself possible clamps issue

Have you checked your exhaust filter in exhaust manifold,lots of threads on the subject in Kawa section,if it breaks up and many other owners have had this happen it will dislodge in the exhaust drop pipe or water box preventing water and exhaust heat to travel and exit and there's a tremendous build up of heat to melt or damage that Hose...

Exhaust Filter

So,
    I have two failed exhaust filters ($$$$$!!!)

Now... I've seen all the posted related to the water box... how do I know if the filter parts are in there? Has anyone cut the box open and had it re-welded?

These things are terrible for longevity.... the maintenance is unlike anything I've seen before.... I've owned many many 2-stroke dirtbikes, racebikes, snowmobiles , atv's, etc

Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ex filter.jpeg 
Views:	193 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	337486  

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Install the pin like in the how to post and stop having to worry about it. Odds are both are in the box and need to be removed by cutting and welding back up.

Sean

thus far I only have one waterbox out... I few taps on a wooden floor and the filter element fell out

I should know this evening if I can get the other one out

Any suggestions on how to get the filter element out if stuck inside one of the WB ports? I really really do not want to cut this thing in two and then find someone to weld it back together

I'm seriously considering running without the filter... Here in Canada, that part is $170.... who wants to pay that every 20 hours of use?

I bet if I spent good time flushing the ski after each ride, then remove all 4 spark plugs and spray the cylinder with oil, and leave the plugs out all week until next weekend, I would be better off.

For winter storage, I plan to take the 30 mins to also remove the waterbox and store in my dry heated house.... That way no worries about any water left in it and condensating elsewhere....

+1
    your ski wasnt running with the seats on because it was choking itself with exhaust gases, fix the issues you have found and all will be good to go. btw i wrote i good thread in regards to predicting the cutting open of water boxes in the future lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information