1999 Yamaha 1200Xl ltd wont start... what could it be

So I have rebuilt the top end with the help of a friend that was an airplane mechanic. So I think the top end is fine. I had a local shop rebuild the carbs.

The local shop didn't start the waverunner after rebuilding the carbs since I had the exhaust off when I took it to him and I put the exhaust back on after.

This weekend I took it out for a test ride.. It wouldn't idle without dieing and wouldn't go over 5K and had no power. It died after a few minutes and I had to be towed. It wont start now.

I called the mechanic this morning and he doesn't think it is the carbs.. Maybe the power valves or something else. I am going to drop it off to him since I think it is the carbs and I am sort of stuck.

Wouldn't it sill start if it was the power valves? The power valves have the wave eater clips on them.

What is could it be? I also checked and the spark plugs are sparking. The battery is fully charged and it cranks.

+1
    i call mechanics BS.... i say its the carbs... i had same issue. runs great on the hose, dies in the water.

+1
    The idle could be its not set high enough and the mechanic would not be able to set it without it running. However, it sounds like a more serious problem. Better check compression and look at plugs to see if its damaged a cyl. These engines are VERY sensitive to carb problems. A normal mechanic would not know how to rebuild these carbs correctly unless they researched it carefully. More to it than just cleaning and replacing gaskets.

+1
    ^^ +1

also when these carbs are rebuilt, one has to set the correct Pop-off.... needless to say this isnt ypur 2 stroke briggs and straton carb... these things are on a whole new level. Send the carbs to WFO, hes one of the best people around to rebuild carbs among other things.

+1
    I would lean toward carbs, but not before checking compression. Keep it simple and check in this order... compression= not sure, spark=check, carbs/getting fuel= not sure. Checking engines in this order will keep you from chasing your tail

It is back at the mechanic.. it is getting water into the back cylinder which is causing all the problems. Could it be something wrong with the head? The cylinder was redone by Millenium technologies

Thread Information