1998 Sea Doo XP Ltd Bad MPEM? Start Stop Switch?

I just rebuilt this Sea Doo Xp with the 951 carb engine. The body probably set for at least 5 years before I got ahold of it. The engine will start and run until shut down. The problem that I am having is that when pressing the start button it will sometimes crank the engine and sometimes the solenoid just buzzes. I am loosing about .9 Volts at the solenoid from the MPEM. The solenoid seems to be engaging and disengaging continuously. I did bypass the MPEM all together and it will crank continuously. There are no beeps at all when connecting the DESS key. I am starting to believe that the MPEM has partially failed, but want to be 100% sure before replacing.

Thanks in advance!

+1
    Sounds more like a bad earth to me - had a similar problem on mine and that was the cause.

I replaced the earth strap to engine and also doubled one direct to the starter motor (as is done on the later models) - got my beeps back and starts on the button every-time

I'd start there before spending out on a new MPEM - good luck

+1
    98 XPLS have a shitty ground connection under the magneto that rusts out and corrodes as it sits low in the black box.
    Have a look there first as it is a common problem,then go outside the box onto the front of the engine where 3 wires attach to and check those connections.
    Sometimes the contact points inside the solenoid carbon up,the solenoid can be dismantled by drilling out the rivets and check the contact plate points.File them clean and re install and install new pop rivets and it will go for another 10 years

Ok, I removed and cleaned every ground on the machine that I know of, even cut into the ends of the main battery cable to make sure that there is no corrosion, cleaned ll of the connections in the black box as well. Still the same pulsing when pushing the start button. Any other suggestions before I order an MPEM? I replaced the solenoid with a new one.

I would try a new start button first before a new MPEM

Cut the start stop switch open and checked the connection, and jumped across the wires. Same thing. The start stop switch is wired directly to the plug on the MPEM.

I have a 1998 xpl mpem with 2 keys for sale .. works perfect..i changed mine as was told it was faulty.. turns out bad earth.. £250

Thread Information