Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

05 RXT Intermittent "Oil" light help

Ok.. Just had the head done.. First ride..ski seemed to run fine for about 45 minutes.. Varying speeds etc, solid beep came on.. Stays on until key is removed.. Doesn't immediately go into limp mode.. Only after 30 seconds or so. Once power is cycled everything normal.. Problem re-occurs after 10-15 minutes. Still making full power..idle is normal..

I'm thinking its one of the two oil pressure sensors..any other thoughts guys?

+1
    Good chance it's the oil pressure sensor under the intake manifold if the oil is up to level and everything else is good

Quote Originally Posted by greenbullet View Post
    Good chance it's the oil pressure sensor under the intake manifold if the oil is up to level and everything else is good
    Is it common to have an issue after the head has been removed?

So.. I took the RXT out to troubleshoot..happens randomly when the ski goes over a bigger wave, or if I lean over in a turn.. Seems to be attitude sensitive.. Puts the ski in limp mode of ~2500 RPM... Steady buzzer.. However no code come up.. Just "Oil".. If I go to idle .. Then blip throttle it silences alarm and all is normal again.. No need to remove key.. Thoughts?

I purchased all 3 sensors.. And was going to start with rear sensor below oil filter.. But now I'm wondering if any of these symptoms point to anything for anyone on here?
    Last edited by g550plt; 08-01-2014 at 07:58 PM. Reason: new test ride

So I replaced the front (aft in the ski) "OPS" switch.. And problem still exists... From what I've read the other "oil" switch is the "OSPS" will also give a limp mode, however it is at 5000 not 2500, also the "OSPS" is supposed to throw a P code.. I also checked the oil filter, it was fine, but replaced it anyway, any thoughts? Being that it's intermittent, I really doubt it's an actual oil pressure issue, it seems to me it would happen at a certain RPM every time if that were the case..same thoughts for the oil pressure regulator..
    Last edited by g550plt; 08-07-2014 at 07:00 PM. Reason: corrected RPM

+1
    Sounds like TOPS acting up along with a sensor... Wierd.

The ski ran great until recently.. I had the heads redone, new valves etc, and very first ride after that work was done.. This problem showed up.. Thinking something has to tie that work to this problem some how..

Ok.. so to bring the thread up to speed.. So far I have..1. Changed the oil and Filter. 2. Changed the OPS sensor under the throttle body, and with the help of another member.. Joshy ran through the 4-Tec Engine Service manual procedures and were able to successfully check continuity of the lead running to the "OPS" sensor in the back of the ski under the throttle body, we also checked the resistance of the circuit through to the ECU. Both seemed to be ok.. I road the ski today and originally thought the problem was gone.. but after approx. 20 minutes or so of very aggressive riding .. the "OIL" message came on, along with the continuous alarm.(still no P-codes) After that the ski malfunctioned every 5 minutes or so.. again with varying engine RPM's, sometimes high, sometimes low, sometimes jumping a wave, sometimes turning.. no apparent repeatable malfunction.

So at this point I'm moving onto the next step of actually measuring the oil pressure on the testing port on the head. Does anyone have any advice for doing this? Also, I need to put together a testing gauge and line.. anybody make one up they would like to describe.. there are so many direct read gauges out there.. not sure of any one is better or worse for this.. thanks guys for the help!

+1
    salt water machine?

With first owner .. yes.. on back dock behind house.. with me ..mostly fresh… 80/20 ..fresh /salt

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information