Question Possible to install 12v power socket on Yamaha VX Deluxe?

Well got a question for you ladies and gentleman here at the forums. Me and the wife frequently take tubes to tow behind the ski most of the time. However, it isn't always the most convenient thing, to have to fill up the tube, then place it in the back of the pickup and tie it down until we arrive at the ramp. I've poked around the forums a bit, as well as a few google searches. Unfortunately I am coming up empty handed. But is it possible to install a 12v power outlet on the ski? Possibly running from the battery, into the storage compartment up front for use with 12v accessories? Or in my case, to run a tube pump to inflate or deflate the tube before and after riding? The battery for the ski I am assuming is running 12v correct? The type I have in mind is a marine grade power socket like this one.
    Name:  308051-345209393-l.gif
Views: 318
Size:  20.7 KB
    Being a little unfamiliar with ski's they obviously have some sort of stator, or alternator for charging the battery during running am I correct? Is the battery capable of delivering the amperage power needed to run a pump for a few minutes for a tube?

Thanks in advance for all the advice. It is always appreciated. Look forward to the responses.

+1
    You could but... being that the battery isn't as large as in your tow vehicle I wouldn't want to run a pump very long and kill the ski battery. Now if you can tie the ski and let the engine run while pumping up the inflatable could be an option. What about just using the tow vehicle to run pump?

+1
    To answer your other question, yes it is a 12v system.

+1
    quickest non permanent way would be to cut the cigarette plug off, attatch two alligator clips to the leads of the pump, and hook them to your battery (car or ski). The charging system charges at 13-14 volts but the amperage is really low.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    I think it's a great idea. Like SVHOKidd mentioned, you'll want to watch how long you run it for.

Hey, now I know how I can hook up my radar detector on the ski

Yeah, I could see making a battery dead in the water a big concern. Damn it for not having neutral on the ski . I pulled some specs this morning as far as what a standard replacement on battery specs would be. From what I noticed the CCA Amps would be plenty for physically running the pump, however, the 19AH (Amp Hours) might be of a concern. I am a little unsure of how the numbers correlate to say an actual running time.

The pump itself uses 11.8 amps @ 145 watts. From what I can tell and you guys can correct me if im wrong, I should technically be able to run that pump for roughly 35-40 minutes non stop use before the "Battery Dies" according to the Amp Hour. The one equation I think I am missing here however, is how much load was on the jetski battery to give it an 19Amp Hour rating.

Battery Specs

• Warranty 1 year
    • Volts 12
    • Polarity | - ||||| + |
    • Chemistry Conventional Lead Acid (Wet Pack)
    • AMP-HOUR 19
    • CCA 240
    • Item 42004
    • Model Adventure Power UB16CL-B (YB16CL-B)
    • Compatibility This battery is NOT manufactured by YAMAHA but is a 100% compatible factory fresh substitute battery.
    • Product Height 6.85
    • Product Length 6.89
    • Product Width 3.94
    • Net Weight 12.13

+1
    Well here's a test. While at home and easy access to a charger,do a trial run. Connect the pump to the waverunner battery. See if it will power the pump long enough to inflate everything you plan on using out on the water AND start the engine afterwards. If it works or not just be sure to charge the waverunner battery before heading to the water.

Going to do some testing on this one, I will let you guys know my findings. I currently work at an RC Helicopter and Drone shop. I will do some testing with some of the equipment here and see if I can't get more of a baseline for this. I really hope this could solve some of my "Power Problems" out in the water. If need be, I'd be half tempted to carry an extra 12v battery in storage just to create a usable power source, that if it drains no big deal and not be stuck on the water. Keep you guys posted with results. Thanks for all the responses.

+1
    just buy a battery operated one... we have had one for years and it works great! (no wires to fuck around with either)

this is the one I have (I also have a 110 one but it has never been needed)

http://www.amazon.com/INTERNATIONAL-...+operated+pump

Thread Information