A few newbie queestions

I picked up a 2000 Virage from a friend. Its been stored for 1 year. So far I've drained the old gas, Cleaned the carb, replaced all the gunked up tempo fuel lines, got a new battery. My questions are these: 1) The start/stop switch will turn the motor whether or not the lanyard is in, power is always on. I would assume the motor would not turn over with the lanyard out and the display should go off. Am I correct? Is this a symptom of a faulty LR 505? 2) After draining the tank, replacing lines and adding new gas, should the system be primed in any way? I do not seem to be getting any fuel flow at all. Does the fuel sender pump fuel as well as sense fuel level? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dsinyard View Post
    I picked up a 2000 Virage from a friend. Its been stored for 1 year. So far I've drained the old gas, Cleaned the carb, replaced all the gunked up tempo fuel lines, got a new battery.

My questions are these:
    1) The start/stop switch will turn the motor whether or not the lanyard is in, power is always on. I would assume the motor would not turn over with the lanyard out and the display should go off. Am I correct? Is this a symptom of a faulty LR 505?
    If memory serves the Virage will crank regardless of lanyard in or out.

The MFI display always shows the clock when it is sleeping. No battery drain concern. The display wakes up when you press a button or start the engine. You will see the speedo needle go full sweep.

2) After draining the tank, replacing lines and adding new gas, should the system be primed in any way?
    I do not seem to be getting any fuel flow at all.

Does the fuel sender pump fuel as well as sense fuel level? ...
    Is this a carburetor engine or fuel injected?

I will assume carburetor engine for the moment.

The carburetor engines have the fuel pump attached to the carburetor. If the entire system is 'dry' then it can take some cranking to get the fuel hoses all filled. If you dribble a small amount of gasoline down each carb throat the engine should start and run for a few seconds. After doing this two or three times the fuel pump should have managed to pump the air out and pull fuel through the hoses.

If there are any air leaks in the fuel system between tank and engine then it will not work well. This includes the fuel selector valve and the fuel filter or fuel:water separator, if your model has one. The fuel system is under suction from the fuel pump on the engine, but air leaks will defeat the fuel pump suction.

When replacing the fuel hoses it is recommended to also rebuild the carburetor(s) with genuine OEM rebuild kits. The old fuel hoses can deposit gunk in the carburetor internal filters which can affect engine operation. And old gas dried in the carbs can gum up the small internal passages.

Thread Information