Arrow 2004 MSX110 issues

[/QUOTE]

These are the most common failed electrical part on Webers (not counting oil fouled MAP sensors). Polaris hasn't had any new ones for sale for years. Only ones you could get were used off parted-out skis... thus they were highly sought after.

[/QUOTE]

I believe my oil MAP sensors are bad too. I replaced the ifb module from Randy. Worked great. MSX110 and it will drop down to idle speed. Disconnect and reconnect battery and works fine for awhile. But not long. Original MAP sensors in still. I have taken them out and cleaned but seems to last a limited time.

Do you think you can conclude these are the culprit? Thanks for the reply.

+1
    Hi Thunderhead,
    I'm a little unclear on your issue. Can you describe it more? Are you getting check engine indicator? Is the engine RPMs being limited? If so, what RPM?

Your asking about possible fouled MAP sensors... did you roll the ski over? Did you get oil ingested into the intake?

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply. sorry I was on a family vacation and real life getting in the way. The check engine light flashes. RPMs are limited to about 2000. I don't think it has been rolled over but when I bought it several years ago I immediately had it serviced. the guy who did it over filled it with oil and the MAP sensors kicked in doing what they do. I took it back to him and he pulled the sensors and cleaned them and he removed some of the oil. I have been doing oil changes ever since. I have had some intermittent issues with it ever since the first oil change. I used to be able to clean them, disconnect the battery then reconnect and the ski would run fine for awhile. Latest effort, I swapped the two sensors and that had no effect. Randy at Weber told me to try a ETB relearn. That did nothing. Your help is greatly appreciated.

BTW my ski is a 2004 MSX110

+1
    Hi Thunderhead,
    I would replace the MAP sensors. They are commonly fouled from the oil during a bad case of oil ingestion... and when "bad" they give the ECU some wonky reading which can make for weird running issues.

MAP sensors cross ref to '06 Chevy Cobalt SS' MAP sensors
    Bosch 0261230042
    GM 90423637 (use gmpartsdirect.com) $45
    Are you getting an overheat indicator (thermometer looking indicator) along with your check engine light?

what are the exact RPMs your being limited to? 1800rpm max is the limit the ECU gives for an overheat situation. 1750rpm max is the limit the ECU gives for a "limp home" mode. "Limp home" mode is caused by ECU, ETB, or PPU issues... and can be seen with MAP issues.

- Make sure your intake tract (turbo to intercooler hose, intercooler, intercooler to intake hardpipe, intake manifold) is clean and free of any gunk. Hot soapy water, clean rinse and thorough dry. (i.e. make sure you're all clean from previous oil ingestion episode)
    - Make sure you oil is at the correct level. (Mobil 1 15w-50 full synthetic)
    - Make sure your oil is clean and free of any contamination (water/coolant).
    - Remove the oil separator (cyclone looking thing on battery side of oil tank) hose that goes the to airbox... the big long one. Plumb this hose (or shorter hose) from oil separator into an an oil catch can (or soda bottle with steel wool... vented to atmosphere). (this line is the cause of oil ingestion)
    - Check/replace your spark plugs... Champion RC7PYCB or NGK BKR7E (only)

Put it all back together... with new items where noted. Ensure no hose tears on intake. Tight hose clamps. Double check the rubber boot clamping the throttlebody to the intake manifold. Disconnect battery overnight from ECU (reset... though admittedly this usually doesn't do much), when all back together... do an ETB relearn... then fire it up (in reverse) and see what happens.

If you continue to have issues... perform a compression test on the engine (both cylinders) and report back those #s too.

Cheers!

Thanks so much for the detail. I am not getting an overheat symbol. The rpms fluctuate a bit likely due to lake conditions, waves and wind etc. But it is basically right at idle speed. I may get one mph faster by pulling the throttle. I never did clean out the intake tract since the original oil contamination. I have been careful with oil and for sure have the correct level and oil type. I will order the parts on Monday and create a catch device for the separator hose. Likely get all of this done next weekend depending on part availability. I will get back to you with the results. Thanks again!

Thread Information