Thread: Cylinder Heads

downunder123
    +1

Cylinder Heads

Just in the the process of rebuilding the top end on my 2001 Genesis I Fitch. I am going +0.5mm as PTO cylinder had some damage (luckily the piston took the most of the bashing). The machine shop noted that the heads may need some flattening as there is a bit of a uneven surface around the O rings area exceeding the service recommendation (I would say corrosion)....Can cylinder heads be machined at all? They mentioned taking the resistor plates off and then re-installing it again...Should I let them do it or get replacements? Thanks.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Does the cylinder head have the letters PTO engraved on the red top?

downunder123
    +1
    No markings on any of the heads as far as I remember. They all look the same. The only thing is PTO head had a blow up in its previous life before me, as it got some damage in the dome area. The machine shop said it should not matter much and it can be polished with wet sand paper (only in the dome, the flat cylinder surface looks straight). Thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bspanovic View Post
    No markings on any of the heads as far as I remember. They all look the same. The only thing is PTO head had a blow up in its previous life before me, as it got some damage in the dome area. The machine shop said it should not matter much and it can be polished with wet sand paper (only in the dome, the flat cylinder surface looks straight). Thanks.
    I seem to recall there was a service bulletin change for some engines. The replacement cylinder head has PTO clearly engraved on the top.

Lemme go check some notes ...

Update: That special PTO cylinder head was just for the 1999 Genesis FFI engine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bspanovic View Post
    Just in the the process of rebuilding the top end on my 2001 Genesis I Ficht. I am going +0.5mm as PTO cylinder had some damage (luckily the piston took the most of the bashing).

The machine shop noted that the heads may need some flattening as there is a bit of a uneven surface around the O rings area exceeding the service recommendation (I would say corrosion)....Can cylinder heads be machined at all? They mentioned taking the resistor plates off and then re-installing it again...

Should I let them do it or get replacements? Thanks.
    A competent machine shop should be able to shave the head mating surfaces just enough to restore good sealing. They would need to remove the restrictor plates from the water jacket holes, then reinstall afterwards. The raised rivets are in the way otherwise.

You may be able to find a good condition used cylinder head inexpensively if you hunt around.
    Last edited by K447; 08-04-2014 at 07:49 PM.

downunder123
    +1
    Thanks for the info. Cheers

+1
    i have 3 cylinder heads that came off an 01 genisis if interested.parting out the ski

Thread Information