Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 gtx carb model tps help

hello guys my throttle cable is sticking and id like to replace it. i ordered a sbt cable. and from what i gather the cable has a tps sensor built into it. my question is why does a carb model use a tps??? i can understand why the DI uses it.

thanks for the help.

+1
    The carb model uses a kind of TPS that's incorporated with the throttle cable, yes. It changes the ignition timing at high throttle for more power. Adjustment is fairly important, so look up the adjustment procedure in the shop manual... seadoomanuals.net has them for free.

thank you for clearing that up i have the shop manual but i dont see a section for the gtx models. under engine management all i see is the di and rfi models.

if you could point me in the right direction that would be great thx!!

+1
    In the 02 manual it's page 08-04-9, or page 316 in my pdf reader. It's under fuel system.

thx got it. i looked over that section. it shows the cable adjustment. but really nothing to so with the tps. from what i gathered tps should read 5v up to 80% throttle then after 80% voltage should drop to zero. anyway to test this prier to finding out in the water. id figure my voltage meter will work i just need to what wires that i can measure off of. thx for your help

+1
    You should be able to test that with the key on, but with the engine not running... Otherwise, just adjust the cable correctly and let it roll, if the RPMs arent there on the water then you have a problem. If it hits the correct rpm then it's definitely working good, send it. That TPS doesn't require a complicated setting procedure like the RFI or a DI, it's just a timing thing, more or less just a throttle proximity switch, nothing precise.

also where is the tps located? ill be working on that this evening thx

thank you very much for your help i appreciate it

+1
    no problem man, glad to help. it's above the gas tank basically, when you start routing that cable you will find it easy. get it all detached from the carb side, then the oil pump, then have fun with the handlebar cover and all of that stuff up top...
    make sure you adjust the oil pump correctly when you are almost done.

also i assume taking the exhaust off is a must. because it seems very difficult to see everything below it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information