STX-15f Sponson Question

Hey,

I am looking for info on changing sponsons.

I used to have a 1996 SeaDoo GTI and that thing was a blast with it's flat hull that would slide and spin all over the place, I know not the best for racing but lots of fun on a long cruise up lake. I had a 1996 Polaris SLT 780 and it wouldn't spin or slide at all. A 97 XP and it would spin with the best but not really slide. And most recentely a 09 Kawasaki SXR-800 that would spin or slide however and whenever I wanted it to. I could get the little beast sideways at 35 or so. SOOOO much fun. Only sold the sxr due to the 2 stroke ban at Powell. Just giving background so you know where I come from

Now my new stx-15 that has 3 hours on it will spin but then grab at the end and almost throws you in the drink.

Will changing sponsons stop this annoying grab half way through a 360? What about removing them all together.

Thanks,
    Jeff

+1
    Not sure about changing sponsons to let it slide a little, the aftermarket adjustable ones may allow that when adjusted in the up position, don't try to ride it without them, I did this as a test just this week, it will porpoise so bad its almost undrivable.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wslm.boarder View Post
    Hey,

I am looking for info on changing sponsons.

I used to have a 1996 SeaDoo GTI and that thing was a blast with it's flat hull that would slide and spin all over the place, I know not the best for racing but lots of fun on a long cruise up lake. I had a 1996 Polaris SLT 780 and it wouldn't spin or slide at all. A 97 XP and it would spin with the best but not really slide. And most recentely a 09 Kawasaki SXR-800 that would spin or slide however and whenever I wanted it to. I could get the little beast sideways at 35 or so. SOOOO much fun. Only sold the sxr due to the 2 stroke ban at Powell. Just giving background so you know where I come from

Now my new stx-15 that has 3 hours on it will spin but then grab at the end and almost throws you in the drink.

Will changing sponsons stop this annoying grab half way through a 360? What about removing them all together.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Yes, and that is why I changed mine-I don't want any slide in the turns. Try leaning to the inside to keep the outside sponson out of the water during the slide.

So after you changed them out the grab is gone? But in the mean time trying to keep the outer sponson out of water might help?

What sponsons do you have?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wslm.boarder View Post
    So after you changed them out the grab is gone? But in the mean time trying to keep the outer sponson out of water might help?

What sponsons do you have?
    Yes, the turning force is uniform and it doesn't break free. I found a pair of Worx sponsons that were laying around a long time at Dennis Kirk. I don't think anybody makes them anymore. You'll have to play around with seating position to see how the hull reacts.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    I spoke to worx at world finals this year and they are still making the sponsons. If I get some time this year I hope to have a plate, grate, and sponson set ready to test. Having an 8-5 does take my ski time away though. Ahh to be a fulltime student again...

Sean

Thread Information