2 stroke 787/exhaust, help

I have a 96 XP, just rebuilt the engine, all back to stock. The ski is running what seems to be perfectly. However, I was at the lake yesterday and decided to GPS my speed. On multiple different runs, the max speed was only 53 mph. From what I understand, this machine should do a solid 58 mph?... I do not know what my max rev's are and I do not know if it is any slower than before the rebuild.(just never checked) I was talking with a buddy of mine that is pretty knowledgeable on this model and he was saying something about the "Water Valve Control" or "Water Control Injection Valve".... He said that we may have to change the jet in the exhaust. The problem is, is that he does not remember what those jets were. The spak plugs are both of equal color and they are a good color. Not too dark, not too light and not wet with fuel. On this freshly built engine, I have run about 8-10 gallons of fuel through it.(All at random speeds and conditions) I would not usually be too worried about the top speed, but I have a race that I have entered into with this ski. It is an ocean race and I will need as much speed as I can get, seeing as how I will be the smallest cc ski in the class. I will greatly appreciate any and all info that I can get pertaining to this matter. PLEASE & THANK YOU!

Any help please..

+1
    Could be many things. You need to find out what your max rpm's are.

I just ordered a TTO Tach meter. At least I will be able to see what my rev's are. Do you happen to know what the size jets would be if they were to be changed in the exhaust?...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ttnerb View Post
    I just ordered a TTO Tach meter. At least I will be able to see what my rev's are. Do you happen to know what the size jets would be if they were to be changed in the exhaust?...
    If your exhaust is stock, then there are no jets.

+1
    53 for a bone stock 96 xp is pretty dang close. I saw 55.5 on close on my 96 with an sbt motor with 10 hours and about 1/4 tank of fuel. Then i started bolting things on but mid 50s is about what these skis do. You should be turning about 6850 rpms though. If that is the case then you are right on the money.

+1
    How is the accelleration? I see 55 on mine and weigh 200. Weight does make a difference.

I wouldn't worry about a couple of miles, is your wear ring and impeller in perfect shape?

Anyway! If you put an pipe for big improve .put an factory pipe spec 2 or coffman race pipe only! And for rec put factory pipe spec 1. ...other pipe suck or little gains(rossier, ape, coffman rec, r&d)

+1
    both vspec and looseboltsrob are in the 58-60 range, reach out to them or some tips

Thread Information