Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

+1

Yamaha Quality, Has it gone up or down?

Bear with me here.

As a person who loves Yamaha waverunners and motorcycles, I see a disturbing trend of quality degradation.

Let’s focus on waverunners:

1. Yamaha Hull with nanoexcel isn’t as durable as the traditional hull. Don’t let them shove the lighter, stronger in your throat, the fact is, it is a better cheaper, faster production advantage. I’ve ridden the nano hull in rough water, man it sounds as if the hull is cracking and flexing really bad. Still this is not a deal breaker but it is not considered a higher quality to older hull.
    2. Display gauges, they never fixed the non-sense display gauges they offered on the prior to 2012 cruiser model, what they did, they went as far as eliminating the whole thing and offer the same crap on more expensive SHO cruiser. Another cost savings. Have they seen the gauges on Doos?
    3. All the plastic part issues you are seeing in 2014 models, bad design and probably under designed plastic pieces for flexes you endure in rough water.
    4. Paint issue.
    5. I believe Yamaha focuses on engine reliability (which I love to have as a customer) but tries to cut cost elsewhere for profit and keeping lower cost. Their quality control is slipping big time. Don’t support them blindly because sometimes a company needs to see these things to wake up and do the right thing.
    6. Super charger issues, let’s see how they do in 2014.
    7. BTW, don’t bring other brands in the picture. Compare today Yamaha quality to the skis like FX HO they made for 10+ years. Don’t bring technological advancement in the argument either. Focus on quality. Do you really think Yamaha waverunner quality in general has gone up? As for the engine longevity, that remains to be seen too. We have rentals with 2000 hours on FX, MR1 engine; let’s see if we see same kind of age out of the N/A 1812cc.
    8. Seat issues that they didn't fix for 2012 guys.

Yamaha if you are listening, you can’t have inferior quality ski and blow off the customers like what people reporting. Yes, I have called their customer support number on multiple occasion and they suck for the most part. This is on brand new parts that I bought that failed. Cheap $60 part but had to experience their customer service.

Bottom line friends, don’t jump on people to come here talk about their problems. As all of us know and Yamaha and other companies need to know and be afraid of, negativity travels much faster than positivity. At least in a consumer country like US.

Some of you guys defend your brand like you are their employees. Kawi/Doo and Yami they all have die hard supporters that at times I feel they are doing more of a disservice to the company than actually service. We are adults, most of us have to save for years to afford one of these skis, most of us take pride in what we buy, for it to start showing issues in early stages of its life is unacceptable by any standards unless you are very laid back, loaded with money and have a ton of other hobbies that you don’t care.

Yamaha watch out your quality control. You had to prove yourself for decades to build a reputation but continued problems can take away much of your reputation in much faster pace!

I'm still Yamaha product fan but I hope they start paying attention to the slippage....

+1
    My FZS has had the same amount of issues as my GPR did.... ZERO!

These skis are being pushed to the max (all brands) and you are going to pay a price to push something to the edge. The edge might be light weight material making the hull weaker or small displacement engine making it high strung or cheap sales price making materials overall lower quality.

My personal experience if you buy the fastest or the cheapest you will have problems its nature of the beast IMO.

3. +1 by:

+1
    r33, I agree with you about pushing the products. We are getting more aggressive, Yes! however, ski should be designed properly to its power plant as well. As the owner of older 2006 FX HO, I can tell you, I pin that throttle in the rough water, calm water, no matter what...Ski performs great! No breakage of this and that. It is solid. Now if I go buy a 1812 NA, should I not expect to be able to pin that throttle and do what I used to do with my 1050cc ski? Is there a warning saying don't go more than 3/4 throttle if water gets rough? The reality is if I can physically do it, I will do it and I expect it to hold up. No?

Btw, let's focus on stock skis. I think once you mod it,all bets are off and company shouldn't be held accountable.

+1
    I totally agree on the quality problems. I have owned 3 Yamahas, 2 Kawasakis and only one Doo, my 2005 RXP. For the record, I chose NOT to buy a new Yamaha because their quality has fallen so badly. I am 100% NOT brand loyal, have owned them all, all had good points, bad points, and some failures that I had to correct.

THE deciding factor for me in NOT buying a new Yamaha is the Nano hull. Period. IMO it is just too thin, no matter what it is made of. Truth is, IMO, they screwed up big time with that one decision, and I am surprised they have not revisited it and done something different; maybe just double the thickness? Who knows, but for me, that is the deal breaker.

For the drivetrain, pump, supercharger, etc, I think all three mfrs have currently good solid designs, and most have had their teething problems, and/or still do. Pretty equal on that front IMO, and no, I don't think Yamaha or any other mfr has THE best 4 stroke motor out there durability wise. I think all three have decent quality and reliability on that front. There are occasional failures on all mfr engines.

Great post I think, and I sure hope people understand why you posted it, and help out rather than criticize.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainReza View Post
    r33, I agree with you about pushing the products. We are getting more aggressive, Yes! however, ski should be designed properly to its power plant as well. As the owner of older 2006 FX HO, I can tell you, I pin that throttle in the rough water, calm water, no matter what...Ski performs great! No breakage of this and that. It is solid. Now if I go buy a 1812 NA, should I not expect to be able to pin that throttle and do what I used to do with my 1050cc ski? Is there a warning saying don't go more than 3/4 throttle if water gets rough? The reality is if I can physically do it, I will do it and I expect it to hold up. No?

Btw, let's focus on stock skis. I think once you mod it,all bets are off and company shouldn't be held accountable.
    I think as far as stock skis you will see very little failure on the Yamaha lineup, the users on here are the extreme top percent for the most part so we are going to see a higher failure rate here than a dealership would. Sure the paint thing sucks but Yamaha is taking care of it (Kaswasaki had similar issue a few years back). As far as the nano I have always said we as users have to evolve with the machines. I use to pull my 1300 on the rocks every ride, I know I simply cannot do that to a nano hull and if I did I would ruin the ski. If given the option would I trade the nano hull for another 50 lbs of ski? HELL NO! As far as the supercharger clutch aain stock there are low failures so its a mute issue IMO. (also a clutch is an item that wears so one would expect to have to replace it at some point)

Overall I agree that you have to be better to these skis then ones in the past BUT I would not give up my FZ for a 2 stroke 1300 ever...

+1
    Very good post Captain. I'm newbie owner to Yamaha.... and I'm not brand loyal. Only AFTER I purchased my Yamaha did I got back on here and through research start learning about the Nano hull. When I purchased... I was relying on the HISTORY of Yamaha and never even QUESTIONED my purchase for the quality... to be honest, I never thought twice about my purchase decision.

NOW- I honestly regret my purchase. Every time I jump a wave and hit hard in back of my head I'm concerned. I got a friend who just bought Kawasaki STX 15F and when I jump same wave on his it feels SOLID. Yes, he has 20 HP less... but I'm not racing and 160 and 180 HP is both plenty for me... if I had it to do again, I'd would not purchase Yamaha mostly because of the Nano hull.

+1
    Tell you what the new FZR SVHO Glovebox is a pos it pops open like a jack in the box lol. I still like my ski why ( power plant)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dckalop View Post
    Very good post Captain. I'm newbie owner to Yamaha.... and I'm not brand loyal. Only AFTER I purchased my Yamaha did I got back on here and through research start learning about the Nano hull. When I purchased... I was relying on the HISTORY of Yamaha and never even QUESTIONED my purchase for the quality... to be honest, I never thought twice about my purchase decision.

NOW- I honestly regret my purchase. Every time I jump a wave and hit hard in back of my head I'm concerned. I got a friend who just bought Kawasaki STX 15F and when I jump same wave on his it feels SOLID. Yes, he has 20 HP less... but I'm not racing and 160 and 180 HP is both plenty for me... if I had it to do again, I'd would not purchase Yamaha mostly because of the Nano hull.
    I guess I simply have not seen enough failures to conclude there is anything wrong with them. There are a few members on here that have had issues but some of those members are the type that win the lottery and all they do is complain about the taxes they have to pay (we all now these types of people)

10. +1 by:

@JC

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shrabber View Post
    Tell you what the new FZR SVHO Glovebox is a pos it pops open like a jack in the box lol. I still like my ski why ( power plant)
    I agree with that and have been contemplating a good fix but I have been riding to much to work on it

+1
    Yamaha quality has always been the same. Was never a "golden age" for any manufacturer. They had 2 stroke issues, 4 stroke issues, 4 stroke supercharged issues and so on. I use to think the MR engines were the way to go until seeing more with blown engines or the 1.8 NA engine was sound until seeing a few blown up. Things fail, but as a unit, is it more likely to fail due to a design flaw? No. Nanoxcel is a different stroke. Some won't like it period. Under normal conditions, and according to your manual, the Waverunner shouldn't be used for wave jumping. Many do and do so no problems. Nanoxcel doesn't just break apart and sink the ski due to design. Percentages favor Yamaha. The supercharger clutch was fixed in 2013 and a majority of failures weren't on stock skis. And a major point is, you can't take any forum too literally. Most come on when having issues and we hear all the problems, but there are way more going strong than broke down.

13. +1 by:

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information