Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

** 2014 FX HO: First Impressions **

I picked up my new 2014 Yamaha FX HO from the dealership on Monday. I have since put 6 hours on the motor in 3 put-ins. Please let me know if you have any advice or see a problem with what I'm doing. No offense will be taken by me. I am perfectly happy to learn what to do and not to do from others.

(full disclosure: this is my first PWC. I own a bow rider boat currently [my 4th boat])

The first 2 hours don't count, as I was following the break-in procedure. The next 4 hours left me with the following impressions:

Pros:

* Very comfortable with wife and 6 year old son on board. We all fit nicely.

* Ample storage for my needs. LOVE the storage with the cup holders. The rest of our gear fits well in nose storage.

* Plenty fast for me (for now...). Jumps on plane with no hesitation, even with 3 of us on board.

* Piece of cake to land and launch.

* Takes the rough waters very well. Ride is more smooth than I thought it was going to be.

* No more concern over damaging or "polishing" prop in the river heading out to the ocean.

* I got the blue (instead of black) colored machine. Color is just amazing. Cleans to a great shine.

* Easy to get close to the beach

Cons:

* Ride is not stable when the three of us are on board. It has a leftward lean. I am hoping this is due to our noobishness, and we will figure out the balance with enough time riding together. Wife was leaning to the right to compensate.

* Odd fuel consumption usage. The first half of a tank took 5 hours. The second half took 1 hour. I was quite surprised how quickly it went from a half tank to the low fuel alarm. Fuel gauge also went down in 1/4 tank increments, despite what appeared to be 1/8 increment on indicator.

* Cant seem to towel/sponge out all of the water from the bottom of the hull and bilge area after cleaning. Is there some magic here? I just cant reach in the get around the engine. I cannot imagine how hard this would be with an SHO or SVHO.

* Has a "lumpy" feel to engine. At idle and in no wake mode, engine is not smooth. This may be normal, but it is mildly unsettling. As Ive said, this is my first PWC, and have only ever ridden small CC rentals in rental/low RPM mode. So I have nothing to compare it to.

* When I beach, I use a 6 pound danforth style anchor and line tied to bow eye. A couple times, the PWC rode up on shore due to wave action and tidal movement. Is this scratching the hull? What is a better way to do it? Note: Tidal shifts here in the Northeast are big compared to down south. 8 to 12 foot is generally the difference between low and high tide. 2 hours on the beach means there can be quite a difference in what it looks like when you beached it.

Also, my cleaning process is the following (Am I missing anything?):

1) hose exterior, including rear and forward storage compartments, as well as interior of engine compartment (very lightly on engine)
    2) Saltaway same areas
    3) Saltaway engine flush for 30 seconds, then 5 minutes clean water
    4) Wash with Macguiars boat wash, using a soft vinyl brush.
    5) Chamois entire exterior
    6) In garage overnight to dry with seats off
    7) Fluid Film every metallic looking thing in the engine compartment

+1
    When you have passengers,ski will feel unstable at idle and very low speed, especially if your gunwale is filled with water. You'll learn how to get on the power if ski wanted to roll you on the water. Yes, doing the balance as your wife doing is the right thing to do. But overtime you will learn how the ski behaves. It's normal.

Be careful beaching that hull,it's not as beach friendly.
    Yes, you can get scratches and gouges.

Lumpy feel you describe is normal. Normal on the 1.8l Yamaha, the older engine was smooth as they get. Nothing to worry about there.

Get a shop vac, a cheap small 2 gallon shop vac and get the water all out.

Fuel consumption isn't odd their gauge isn't working right. Get use to that as well.

Good choice on fluid film. Do a YouTube search on how to maintain a Jetski, you may come across my video.follow that for maintenance and you should be golden. I ride ocean all the time, no rust or corrosion problem after 250 hours on each 3 skis that i have.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainReza View Post
    When you have passengers,ski will feel unstable at idle and very low speed, especially if your gunwale is filled with water. You'll learn how to get on the power if ski wanted to roll you on the water. Yes, doing the balance as your wife doing is the right thing to do. But overtime you will learn how the ski behaves. It's normal.

Be careful beaching that hull,it's not as beach friendly.
    Yes, you can get scratches and gouges.

Lumpy feel you describe is normal. Normal on the 1.8l Yamaha, the older engine was smooth as they get. Nothing to worry about there.

Get a shop vac, a cheap small 2 gallon shop vac and get the water all out.

Fuel consumption isn't odd their gauge isn't working right. Get use to that as well.

Good choice on fluid film. Do a YouTube search on how to maintain a Jetski, you may come across my video.follow that for maintenance and you should be golden. I ride ocean all the time, no rust or corrosion problem after 250 hours on each 3 skis that i have.
    Thanks for the info bro.

edit: I found your video ( ). Great stuff, completely covered what I need. I also will be getting the tube and nozzle for the fluid film. Solves the issue of getting just what I can see line-of-sight.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beantowner View Post

* When I beach, I use a 6 pound danforth style anchor and line tied to bow eye. A couple times, the PWC rode up on shore due to wave action and tidal movement. Is this scratching the hull? What is a better way to do it? Note: Tidal shifts here in the Northeast are big compared to down south. 8 to 12 foot is generally the difference between low and high tide. 2 hours on the beach means there can be quite a difference in what it looks like when you beached it.
    Had to lol at that..........you want to try dealing with up to 40' of tidal movement like we do here!
    If the anchor is not holding due to wave action, then you could try 4'-6' of chain on it before the line. I use a cooper anchor........the best I have come across......light, yet holds extremely well in most surfaces.

+1
    I had to look up here you live! 40 foot tidal swings sounds really awful, to be honest. I'm not in love with the 10 footers we get here regularly. I cant imagine what ramps look like in your parts.

Thanks for the info. on the anchor, I plan to hunt one down.

+1
    Dave, that's an awesome anchor. You have a link to it. The one i bought broke after twice of usage.

+1
    All i can find is:

http://cooperanchors.com

Seems like a spendy anchor.

Here it is on eBay with free shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nylon-Cooper...354457&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by Beantowner; 08-04-2014 at 10:00 PM. Reason: new link

i put an one anchor on the front and put it in the sand in front of the waverunner and another anchor in the back and toss it in the water behind the waverunner. This keeps it from moving

9. +1 by:

+1
    I like that Cooper Anchor. The middle sized one for PWCs looks like it will run $50 delivered via the cooper anchor website.

I have a sand-screw anchor now and a bag anchor on the way, combined with my 6# fluke anchor, I am hoping that will keep the Waverunner in one spot.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41eDohNwNjL._SX300_.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	337931Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kwik-Tek-A-1-PWC-Sand-Anchor.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	337932

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainReza View Post
    Dave, that's an awesome anchor. You have a link to it. The one i bought broke after twice of usage.
    Reza, as the guys have said above, $49.50 delivered to you from the Cooper anchor website...... http://cooperanchors.com/anchors/

Apart from being a really good anchor, they are also quite light, so don't tend to damage the storage compartment on the ski, even with chain attached & kept in a padded bag, I have no damage what so ever......unlike my grapple anchor on the old ski.....that was always doing it's best to smash the compartment up lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information