Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newb RXP Questions

I just picked up an 05 RXP Blk/Grn and Ive been looking around on the forums to see what the best mods are....yada yada. Just had a few ?

1) So how is the ski on gas? I don't have a problem with running 92, JW.
    2) I am going with the Riva Stage 1 kit, and the Denso plugs. I have never run an open intake. Is there a threat of water getting in there?
    3) I have not put any hours on the ski, its brand spankin' new. Since its winter here in NY I am going to go ahead and do the mods listed above. Is this ok with no time on the motor?
    4) Any comments, concerns or adivce would be appreciated.

This is gonna be just a lake runner, so I will probably stick with the Riva stage 1 kit, don't want to go crazy....yet.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    ski aint too bad on gas, but it's likes to burn it. depends how hard u ride. u can get anywhere from 1.5 hours to 3/4 hours out of a tank.

riva stage 1 is a definite good starting point... on a lake water ingestion is unlikely unless u submarine or flip the ski over very very often. it's a marine machine, water is everywhere. as long as it's in the water ther'es a risk of taking in water, just be smart about it... u wont run any large risk with the riva intake unless u sub it and take on serious gallons of water with the throttle pinned sucking all that water in... again VERY unlikely.

where in NY u from? i'm on long island... still ridin too

+1
    u mentioned modding the ski being brand new... no problem with that. it still needs to be properly broken in before u erally let her rip. most of us prefer breaking the ski in first and fine tuning it and baselining it's performance 100% stock so we know what we started with and what increase a particular mod gave us. if u add something and see ur speed drop then something needs attention... if u mod a brand new ski u don't know what you started with and what increase the stage 1 gave you. just something to think about.

Im upstate...right up near the st. lawrence river. I dont intend on flipping the ski, I was just curious about the risks. Is it alright to mod the ski without any hours on the motor?
    Also I read somewhere that I need a rectifier mount for the riva intake? Can you elaborate. thanks

how many hrs are you guys breaking in for?

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy57
    how many hrs are you guys breaking in for?
    You're gonna hear alot of stuff about break-in. While you are deciding, here is some reading to also consider. One of the best tech articles I have ever seen regarding break-in. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I broke mine in varying the RPM's during the first 8 hours and ALWAYS getting a WOT in there at the minimum of one an hour, but only for a few seconds. Also, don't even think about using the learning key near your doo during break-in.

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    Shibby do run WOT everywhere? I can make a topped off tank last 7 or 8 hours. Most of my riding is in choppy water so we average about 40-45mph crusing. Maybe it's just because i have the 185 non-IC.

We can run about 53 miles, 3-3.5 hrs. on full tank, 1 or 2 up riding. That`s average throttle in river to bay to inlet and vice versa...PR...

+1
    xdime... 7-8 hours!?!?! you have got to be idling... or taking many breaks inbetween. and the 185 HP skis gets worse fuel economy than the 215 believe it or not. no way can u get 7-8 hours doing a half way fun speed at 40-45 and up.

+1
    teddy... the rectifer mount comes with the riva kit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information