Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

Removed Restrictor took about 20 min.

Remove the restrictor from my VX Deluxe only took about 20 min. to remove the throttle body and reinstall it and about 2 hours to get that bastard out of there.

+1
    I wish.... On the forced induction engines it takes a 3 - 4 hours to get the manifold off and on again, but you can push the ribbon out from behind in a few seconds...

I discovered after it doing in on my NA FXHO that someone on this forum came up with the clever method of putting a large screw into the centre of the ribbon then popping it out like a nail using the back of a claw hammer... Too late, I know, but there are pictures here if you want to search and muse on what could have been...

**. Heavy Sigh **

3. +1 by:

+1
    3-4 hours?? How many beer breaks are you taking??

+1
    Looking at it , its a wonder that any air could get through it.

+1
    That's not unusual, was a post from someone just recently that took even more.

Think about it - gather tools, towels under engine to catch dropped bits, set up lighting, remove upper cross brace with seat spike to avoid it up the butt... then remove engine cover, brackets, cable ties without breaking them, injectors and move wiring harness to rear. Loosen top clamp j pipe and manifold bolts, then work bolts out with finger ratchet, straddle ski and carefully remove manifold. Now take off throttle body (after marking orientation so it doesn't go on backwards) and actually do ribbon delete.

OK, it's halfway through, but add into the stuff I've just described the fact that most people on this forum are doing it for the first time (man, I wish that was me...) so they're thinking about each step and checking before they do it, they are maybe reading instructions from this forum or Riva/R&D, and are probably being very deliberate and careful because nothing, nothing, NOTHING makes this job go slower than dropping a part or tool under the engine. They may be laying stuff out in order or taking photos to assist with reassembly, and when they do reassemble there will be loctite and double/triple checks it's going back right (there was recent post from someone who had to do it twice due to a mistake) Probably at this point in the middle, which would fairly easily run to 1 - 2 hours, they could be stopping for a break!

Now double it for re-assembly.

I've had discussions before with those who claim it's a half hour job, or maybe an hour... Spare me or save it for someone who'll fall for it. It would look like like a video with the frame rate increased, and even if you could what purpose would it serve on your own ski? You want to do it once and do it right and be sure that it's back together right, including correct torque on manifold bolts (steel in alloy, be careful), clamps on j pipe tight but NOT broken, etc, etc... It's just slow getting tools onto the fittings when working by feel while straddling Yamaha's finest, and ensuring you don't drop them...

No human works quickly and doesn't risk mistakes, if your pitting for an F1 race that risk is considered acceptable, but give me a good reason when working on your own ski? It's like someone in the car suggesting a short cut - I work on the principle the shortest route is the one that doesn't get you lost...

Even my shop allows three hours for quoting that particular job and believe me, they are in no position to stretch the work out to gouge customers. I've stood there and watched their mechanic working on mine, he's knowledgable and doesn't dawdle, if it takes him that time then I reckon it's appropriate. I do the ribbon delete myself on my skis just to be absolutely sure everything is right.

It's an an empty argument... unlike challenging people to a holeshot run on the water you won't do it again just set up a race, and being faster doesn't make you a winner. I guess I'm thinking if it took half an hour you're lying, one hour you're unwise, two hours you didn't stop for a break and waddya know.. it's almost three!

chrs jc

+1
    iScrew, Julio...

+1
    Dropped the socket under the engine twice , the second time it got all my neigbors attention.

9. +1 by:

@JC

+1
    Yeah, I'm a bit like that with some of the stuff I do in the shed... luckily, we live on acreage and the neighbors are further away!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingram View Post
    Dropped the socket under the engine twice , the second time it got all my neigbors attention.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingram View Post
    ditto !! Thought about just dumping all my tools down there and saving some time and cussing

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information