Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Gouge in Nano Excel Hull

So I went to the lake today and when I get home I notice something white on my hull. Upon further inspection, there is a gouge that is about 1.5 Inches long x 0.5 inches wide and is through the paint and into whatever is under it. This really stresses me out as I pay extra close attention not to ride the ski in less the 4 feet of water. Heck, when I launch it from the trailer I wade out until I'm in at least 3 feet before I hop on. I've never pulled the ski on shore either and never will. I must have hit something floating in the water. Can this be repaired? If so, I live in Maine any ideas of where I can bring it in Maine, Mass or NH? I need to go to somebody who knows how to repair Nano Excel. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This SUCKS!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	481 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	337592  

+1
    That could be from your trailer winch, Julio...

Get us a better pic, I can't tell man

+1
    Thanks for the feedback. I doubt it was the winch as it has a rubber bumper and also the the gouge is quite far from where it would have made contact. This is the best picture I can get. Could a body shop use body filler and repaint it as it's not through the hull? There appear to be a few fiberglass threads but not many.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	292 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	337595   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	287 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	337596  

+1
    I would use black tinted epoxy, or paint black after repair with epoxy. DO NOT use polyester resin, AKA "fiberglass" resin.

To tell the difference, epoxy will be mixed in 1:1, 1:2, 1:3 ratio, cure slowly and not smell too much. Polyester will be resin and a small amount of catalyst, stink lots even after cured and go off suddenly. Polyester, the stuff fiberglass boats are made from, is great when being stuck to itself (and glass fibers) but doesn't like sticking to other materials. Epoxy sticks well to lots of things, even in the presence of moisture.

Epoxy will need to be thickened with a high strength filler, I only buy it in larger quantities but you should be able to get small kits.

They can probably use epoxy to fill it and paint, but not many shops are experienced with these hulls

+1
    Could an automotive body shop repair this if they used epoxy filler, or whatever they commonly use for body filler and paint over it? Would automotive body filler adhere?

+1
    Here's what you do!!! Six 10 epoxy mix it with there west systems dye just a cunt hair. Put it in a disposable cup say quarter full using a plastic do daddy. Make sure you wet sand the area and clean it. Apply the epoxy clean and evenly allow to dry sand and shape you will have a slight dull spot buy I will guarantee you everything around it will cave in before there's a issue!!!

been there had the same shit from a oyster in my tunnel fkers been 85 plus and solid as rock!!!

+1
    Thanks for the advice Shrabber, you're the man! Was your repair on a nano hull? I'm finally beginning to feel a little less sick to my stomach. Is the Six 10 easy to sand and shape once dry? I may have a body shop do the repair, that way everything looks like new. Im just glad its only a gouge and not a cracked hull, knock on wood.

+1
    Just got off the phone with Yamaha and as Shrabber stated, an epoxy resin (NOT POLYESTER) will bond with Nano Excel. I have a local guy with 34 years of experience who quoted me a couple hundred bucks for the repair, including paint. I'll post photos of the finished product and keep everyone update as to the durability.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information