Thread: Earth problem

Earth problem

So I have read that the earth from the batter negative to the engine block should be pretty much 0 ohms, I was getting close to 3 ohms when measuring mine so I went ahead and replaced the cables to and from the battery... Not I'm getting 7ohms!!? I have no idea how or why... This is on a polaris freedom 2004. If anyone has one of these could you tell me how many connections share the earthing point with the battery negative cable? Thanks in advance from the UK

This is from the electrical drawing for a freedom 2004 , it should have 2 at the engine, the cable from the battery negative terminal to engine should read around 0.2 ohms or less.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1osqvk.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	337610

Yeah I have 2 connections on there so that's right. I don't understand how I have around 7ohms there though. It's a brand new cable and it's worse than the old one!?

This might sound stupid , but have you tested the leads of your multimeter

+1
    How did the cable disconnected test? If the cable unconnected is showing resistance, the multimeter idea is not such a "stupid" one.....

Banned User
    +1
    Whats wrong with earth? I quite like it here.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by david.hoogewerf View Post
    Yeah I have 2 connections on there so that's right. I don't understand how I have around 7ohms there though. It's a brand new cable and it's worse than the old one!?
    Battery must be disconnected when doing ohm measurements of the battery cables.

Is your meter accurate? Some meters produce inaccurate readings if the internal meter battery is weak.

Inexpensive multimeters can have trouble accurately reading low ohms values. What does the meter read when you touch the probes together while set to measure ohms? Is it consistent?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Whats wrong with earth? I quite like it here.
    even with the Milwaukee Police around?

Ah guess I was the stupid one testing it still hooked up to the battery shhhhhh. ..
    I won't be able to test it for a few weeks anyway I work away from home so ill update you all in 3 weekends time

Old thread I know, but if you want to test the resistance while the battery is hooked up, then use the DC volts setting on the meter, if your meter has a few different volt settings instead of having auto, then select the lowest DC voltage setting.. The volts should read 0. Sometimes ohms can read 0, when in fact there is a resistance present, such as a resistance that is seen only under load.

Examples of this is I have seen a few times on cars, measuring volts with one lead on the lead post of the battery, the other lead on the battery terminal or engine block, a few times i have seen this show voltage, indicating there is a voltage difference along a conductor that should have ~0 ohms resistance. Cleaning the battery terminals removed the resistance, the meter then showed 0v, and the issues with the car were then gone.

One example I can think of this could be useful on a ski, would be measuring from the negative post of the battery to the ground of the coils, any voltage would indicate resistance somewhere along the way, moving the probes closer will indicate where (eg move from the battery post to the bolt on the block). This can also be performed while the engine is running to detect resistance under load.

Thread Information