Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Engine swap

Engine swap

Good morning everyone, This is my first post on Greenhulk. I have a 2001 Polaris Virage 1200 DI with a broken connecting rod. I cracked the uppercase and the PTO cylinder I am in need of a new motor. Does anyone know if a 2004 Genesis motor is the same as my 2001 Virage. Thanks for your help in advance. Rick

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

The 2004 Genesis i fuel injected engine will directly bolt into your Virage hull.

Will you be using the EMM and fuel injectors from the. Genesis or from your old engine?

The exhaust manifold on the 2004 engine will be a newer design and is better than the 2001 exhaust manifold.

The 2004 throttle bodies utilize the newer design pigtail TPS, which is preferred.

See my signature links for additional useful info. Other than the engine there are other things that might be good to work on while the engine is out. Such as the through-hull bearing and the jet pump bearings.

Thanks for the reply. I have not yet purchased the Genesis. I have done a little research and looks like they are different emm's. I didn't know if the Genesis Emm would mount in the Virage hull and or if they are the same wiring plugs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RRW View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I have not yet purchased the Genesis. I have done a little research and looks like they are different emm's.

I didn't know if the Genesis Emm would mount in the Virage hull and or if they are the same wiring plugs.
    The Polaris Ficht EMM are all physically the same size with the same electrical connectors.

The actual EMM part numbers differ as Polaris tweaked the EMM parameters for improved engine operation and slight differences in exhaust systems, hull weight, etc. They also reduced engine exhaust emissions somewhat, hence the California Low Emissions One Star decal on the later model years.

The Genesis is a heavier hull than the Virage so the EMM is tuned to cope with additional drag.

Thank you ! looks like i have a Genesis to purchase today.

K447 I just wanted to say thank you very much. I purchased that Genesis on Sunday which was in incredibly nice shape for a mere $900. He was getting rid of this machine due to a check engine light and the machine was only reaching a top speed of 35 mph but the motor had good compression. I found your previous posts on how to check the EMM with the LED light which I purchased at RadioShack as you suggested. I rigged the whole thing up with the three-way household switch and it all worked like a charm. I was pulling a code 17 and a code 81. I happened to have a spare ignition coil from the Virage and replaced it. I reset the computer with the three-way switch and lo and behold the codes cleared. I took the ski for a spin and the codes did not return. Glorious code 11. I am assuming the low-voltage code was due to the bad coil pulling too much current and everything on this machine is perfect. Decided to just keep it as a whole machine and not swap the engines. Again I want to thank you for your wonderful knowledge of these machines. Sincerely RRW

+1
    K447 I just wanted to say thank you very much. I purchased that Genesis on Sunday which was in incredibly nice shape for a mere $900. He was getting rid of this machine due to a check engine light and the machine was only reaching a top speed of 35 mph but the motor had good compression. I found your previous posts on how to check the EMM with the LED light which I purchased at RadioShack as you suggested. I rigged the whole thing up with the three-way household switch and it all worked like a charm. I was pulling a code 17 and a code 81. I happened to have a spare ignition coil from the Virage and replaced it. I reset the computer with the three-way switch and lo and behold the codes cleared. I took the ski for a spin and the codes did not return. Glorious code 11. I am assuming the low-voltage code was due to the bad coil pulling too much current and everything on this machine is perfect. Decided to just keep it as a whole machine and not swap the engines. Again I want to thank you for your wonderful knowledge of these machines. Sincerely RRW

+1
    Interesting. I just repaired a code 81 on my own engine.

Note that the reinforcement/repair of the fuel pump pressure regulator is now considered mandatory (by me and others). The factory mounting is weak and it can fail at any time, without warning. I burned a hole through a piston recently for just this reason.

Also take the time to go through the other recommended maintenance such as through-hull seals and jet pump bearings. Lots of things to check and probably a few seals and bearings to change. Worth it for the peace of mind and improved reliability.

Glad to hear you got it running!

I most definitely will check that pressure regulator. I have two 2001 Virage's TXI (one with a Motor in a box) and both of those regulators were in the bottom of the tanks when I bought them. I am beginning to wonder why that Motor failed. I had purchased a new EMM online at one of the large Polaris parts places A few years ago and did not realize that it had to be set up with my injectors. They sent me the new EMM and I installed it in the machine. The machine ran for two seasons and now beginning to wonder if it was running lean due to the injectors not matched to the EMM. I guess it really doesn't matter now but now I have a spare EMM that if I ever need I will definitely send out to match my injectors.

K447, you were right again ! The ski ran fine on the water for my test run but under your advice I pulled the fuel pump today and the fuel regulator was sitting in the bottom of the fuel pump housing. I did your cotter pin trick. Thanks for the advice, You probably saved me another Motor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information