Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

seadoo xp intake baffle/barrier?

new to me xp 97, compression over 150 on both jugs.

carbs look clean but it does have slow throttle response, actually need to apply throttle slowly and then it will get up to speed, otherwise it bogs...
    decided to change the fuel lines (still have the grey tempo) and after taking the carbs off I notice the forward intake port (past the carbs) has a plastic barrier while the other one (rear cyl intake) does not. I am not quite positive this is right? what is this gasket with cutout doing there? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-08-02 11.55.14.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	337620

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    I can't tell what you are talking about in the picture...Oh and if its bogging, CLEAN THE CARBS

Definitely cleaning those carbs. I just opened them up and there s plenty of stuff in the filters...
    Regarding the gasket blocking the intake: zoom into the picture and look in the right (front) intake port, you will see a plastic mesh placed in there as if the gasket was never cut. Is that right?

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Thats your ROTARY valve disc and its an aftermarket one at that. If you clean the carbs and it still bogs you need figure out what you have and what upgrade changes have been made to the motor.

What is it's purpose and why is there only one installed?

Ran good for a coupe of hours...then was acting clogged up again, only doing 35 or so and jerking with the same throttle applied, I didn't change all of the lines just from the filter on (not enough time today) maybe more goop came down into the carbs. I will have to go at it again and finish the job to be able to tell if that is the culprit or not.

+1
    Did you change all the grey lines and clean the fuel switch?

I Only did the lines I could reach from the engine compartment, taking off the seat will be the next phase. I m hoping that will fix it all

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dcurbet View Post
    What is it's purpose and why is there only one installed?
    That is a disc that spins with the engine rotation. Think of it as your camshaft. It blocks one intake while the other sucks air.
    No need to fully remove seat. There are bolts at the front that act like hinges. Disconnect the rear shock, and with hood open, swing seat up and forward.

+1
    I have replaced the fuel lines on XPLs several times. You don't need to pull the seat. Simply disconnect the two bolts at the front, loosen the band clamp around the seat shock and rotate the entire seat. Do not mess with the shock assembly in the rear. Pull the black rubber cover over the sending unit and you can reach all of the lines. Don't just clean the fuel selector valve, replace the O ring or replace the entire valve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information