polaris freedom 2002 will only fire with bilge button pushed

Guys
    I need your help to understand, i have no fire unless i hold down the bilge buttom. After reading other threads i am not sure if this means that the CDI or the regulator is bad. please explain.
    Last edited by kevingrove301; 08-02-2014 at 03:29 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

If the engine runs with Bilge button held down then the CDI and the rest of the ignition system are probably good.

See below for recent comments to another member with a similar problem.

Either the connections (inputs and output) to the LR module are not quite correct or the module itself is not working.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The LR module only needs three input connections to work.
    Ground (Black wire)
    Red/Purple (feed from battery)
    Yellow wire from stator charging coil

The Orange wire is an output from the LR module. It feeds the bilge pump and it feeds power to the engine ignition CDI module.

The Bilge button, when pressed, feeds battery power directly to the Orange wires. This not only powers up the bilge pump it also powers up the CDI ignition system.

The engine runs when you hold down the Bilge button, but does not run if the Bilge button is not pressed. This means the problem lies with the LR module not feeding voltage to the Orange wires.

The following measurements are to be done with everything hooked up. If necessary use a thin sewing pin to slide alongside the wire into the back of the connector and touch the internal metal pins, then connect your red meter probe to the pin. It can be tricky to ensure you have solid metal to metal contact inside the connector, which is necessary for a valid meter measurement.

Black meter probe stays on engine ground for the following measurements.

As described earlier, with engine not running there should be battery voltage on both the Red/Purple and the Yellow wires that feed into the LR module. If this is not the case, investigate why.

The Black wire for the LR module should not measure any voltage, or perhaps a very tiny amount (way under 1.0 volts). If there is any significant voltage on Black then there is a problem with the grounding for the LR module.

If the above three connections to the LR module are as described with the correct voltages, then move your meter probe to the Orange wire output from the LR module. It should measure zero volts, or close to zero.

Press the Bilge button. Voltage should jump up to full battery voltage.

Release Bilge button. Lanyard in place, press and hold the Start button. Voltage on Orange should again jump up to battery voltage (something more than 10.6 volts).

If voltage does not jump up at all, or only rises to some voltage below 10.6 volts then the LR module is not working properly.
    If the voltage gets close to 10.6 then the battery may simply be borderline weak.

Move red meter probe to Black LR module wire. Crank engine again. Voltage on Black wire should stay very low, at most it might rise a couple of tenths of a volt. If Black wire voltage rises excessively when engine is cranking then the LR module grounding is not working properly.

i must be confused about what the LR is, Mine is and LR85part number 4010615 it has no yellow or red/purple wire coming to or from it.
    Where am i checking the voltage/ ohms at?

sorry my bad LR 505 black wire 0v red/purple 12.88v yellow 12.88, orange 0v when press bilge 12.86
    orange out of LR 0v when try to start without pressing bilde i get .02v?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kevingrove301 View Post
    ... LR 505 black wire 0v
    red/purple 12.88v
    yellow 12.88,
    orange 0v when press bilge 12.86

orange out of LR 0v when try to start without pressing bilge i get .02v?
    Start engine. Battery voltage should rise with engine running to something more than 13.5 volts. Does this happen?

I just have battery voltage of around 12.8v is this the stator or the LR 505 that controls this.
    Thanks for you help. at this point in time can i just put a jumper wire from yellow to orange on the board unplug the bilge so battery will not drain and just charge the battery every weekend?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kevingrove301 View Post
    I just have battery voltage of around 12.8v
    Is this with the engine running?

is this the stator or the LR 505 that controls this?

Thanks for you help. at this point in time can i just put a jumper wire from yellow to orange on the board unplug the bilge so battery will not drain and just charge the battery every weekend?
    No jumper wire from Yellow to anywhere else.

If the 12.8 volts reported above was with engine running then it seems that the entire LR module has failed.

If you want to ride around with no battery charging and run the entire engine and electrical system just on battery power, that is possible. Of course if the battery dies you could be stranded on the water.

To directly power the CDI ignition from the battery remove the CDI connection to Orange and instead connect the CDI Red/Purple directly to the other Red/Purple wires. This was the factory configuration prior to 2000 for red domestic engines.

The CDI will use battery power only when the engine is running, so the battery should not drain when the engine is just sitting.

No need to change anything else.

My advice is to replace the LR module so the electrical system works properly, of course.

I have an oem lr 505 I bought last week thinking it would fix my issue. Something else is wrong so I have an extra to sell.

Do you know if it is still good and what do you want for it. I am thinking at this point i can charge the battery each weekend, with out a lot of problem.

I sent a private message.

Thread Information