+1

Battery charging

Hi, I have a Polaris SL650 and the battey voltage has dropped and it has been sitting in the garage for the past 3 months. I have installed terminals extenders to easily check the voltage. Is it OK to recharge the battery using the extenders without removing the battery or disconnect one terminal? Would the CDI be affected?
    Thanks

Banned User
    +1
    If you use a slow charger/maintainer there should be no problem. High amperage charging is not a good idea however.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    personally, I'd disconnect the battery. I recently had a customer who had his charger damaged by a power spike ( we get lots of lightning here) and it failed and cooked out a brand new agm battery.

why take a chance? granted it's a slim chance, but considering the cost of the electrics on your ski, spend the five minutes and disconnect it.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hbernier View Post
    Hi, I have a Polaris SL650 and the battey voltage has dropped and it has been sitting in the garage for the past 3 months.

I have installed terminals extenders to easily check the voltage. Is it OK to recharge the battery using the extenders without removing the battery or disconnect one terminal?

Would the CDI be affected? ...
    What kind of terminal extenders?

What kind of battery are you using in that machine?

Old school lead-acid batteries self discharge in just a couple of months.

Modern AGM type batteries such as the recommended Deka brand ETX16 AGM will hold a charge for many months at a time. No need to recharge an AGM battery while in storage.

The Fuji engine CDI is not connected to the battery at all. If your SL 650 does not have a digital display there is not much electronics that is actually connected to the battery.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hbernier View Post
    Hi, I have a Polaris SL650 and the battey voltage has dropped and it has been sitting in the garage for the past 3 months.

I have installed terminals extenders to easily check the voltage. Is it OK to recharge the battery using the extenders without removing the battery or disconnect one terminal?

Would the CDI be affected? ...
    What kind of terminal extenders?

What kind of battery are you using in that machine?

Old school lead-acid batteries self discharge in just a couple of months.

Modern AGM type batteries such as the recommended Deka brand ETX16 AGM will hold a charge for many months at a time. No need to recharge an AGM battery while in storage.

The Fuji engine CDI is not connected to the battery at all. If your SL 650 does not have a digital display there is not much electronics that is actually connected to the battery.
    Hi K447,
    The extender is Expertland Weatherproff Battery Lead which is intended to connect to an Experttland charger.
    I'm using the regular lead-acid battery right now.
    I don't have any electronic display, just thought that the CDI might be affected.
    Thanks for the info on the type of battery I should consider.
    BryanP suggested a low amp charge would be OK, but nmpeter suggested to disconnect the battery while charging. What do you think?
    Thanks for your reply which I extend to BryanP and nmpeter for theirs.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The quality of the battery charger is the deciding factor. I only use smart chargers which switch to float or battery maintenance mode once the battery is charged.

Do not use automotive 'trickle' chargers as a trickle for a big car battery is effectively a full on charge rate for these small watercraft batteries. Even 2 Amps is plenty for a PWC battery.

There are several name brands that make good chargers. Battery Tender is widely recognized. CTEK is another.

I would look for a charger that specifically says it is compatible with AGM batteries. The chargers I use have a specific AGM setting.

I have never heard of "Expertland Weatherproof Battery Charger"

+1
    Great! I'll get a battery tender.
    Thanks again!

Thread Information