+1

1200r Break in oil

Getting ready to rebuild the 1200r- wondering what oil you guys use for break in and what ratio? I see that SBT has break in oil.

+1
    Use yamalube. Mix 25:1 for premix in 1st tank, or if using oil injection mix 40:1 in your 1st tank. Basically you want the mixture to be twice as strong as normal for the 1st tank. Remove the CAT while you're at it & intall a D-plate. After the break-in go to a synthetic oil such as Amsoil Interceptor which is good for power valves.

Personally, I wouldn't use sbt parts. They're other, better parts to choose from.

+1
    Use whatever oil you are going to use afterwords. If on oil injection, just add like 50-1 to gas for first tank.
    Remember, on PV engines Yamaha did NOT add extra oil on break-ins when new, and all the manufacturers used there regular oil
    during break-in, nothing special.
    This is crap saying you cannot use synthetic during break in, Corvettes since 1992 and many other GM cars use synthetic Mobil 1 as the factory fill and they don't have any issues.

+1
    Im going to run Amsoil, but i think it will be best to run a non-synthetic oil for the first tank- I have some Yamalube laying around, but thats not a regular old oil is it? The thought is that synthetic oil is so slick that it will impede the Rings setting in the correct time frame for break in.

+1
    Correct. It's best to use a non - synthetic oil for break in for ring set. Doesn't really matter which one as long as it's a good quality oil. That's why I recommended yamalube.
    What LT1 stated doesn't apply to yr ski. Yes, some manufacturers indeed use synthetic oils in the cars when new HOWEVER not only are they 4-stroke engines but they are purposely built with this in mind. You are always safer to use mineral based oil for break-in & synthetic afterwards. Everyone has their opinion about oils but it's a FACT that you have a brake-in period with your ski.

+1
    I have some Yamalube, wasnt sure if that has synthetic in it or not. Thanks, guess ill use up my Yamalube

+1
    Yamalube is not synthetic. My advice, go ahead and use it up. Then go to which ever oil you plan to run long term. Plenty of skis with hundreds of hours that use yamalube.
    P.S. Make sure your carbs are adjusted correctly before you do any lengthy rides or WOT.

+1
    Synthetic oil is not as "slippery" as one might think, it just does not break down as easily as full mineral oil. Just saying, all the boats in my signature(except FZS) and many more were build by me and broke in with Maxima Super M, an synthetic blend and no issues.
    If you are worried about proper break-in of the rings being oil related, why do you want to double the amount of oil during break-in? Wouldn't that reduce the friction and seating of the rings by your way of thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by 007GPR08 View Post
    Correct. It's best to use a non - synthetic oil for break in for ring set. Doesn't really matter which one as long as it's a good quality oil. That's why I recommended yamalube.
    What LT1 stated doesn't apply to yr ski. Yes, some manufacturers indeed use synthetic oils in the cars when new HOWEVER not only are they 4-stroke engines but they are purposely built with this in mind. You are always safer to use mineral based oil for break-in & synthetic afterwards. Everyone has their opinion about oils but it's a FACT that you have a brake-in period with your ski.

+1
    LT1.. There are different qualities of synthetic oils. Some are indeed better or 'slippery' than others. If you use synthetic oil for break-in you have a higher risk of the rings not seating properly. I've always utilized mineral based oils for break-in so as to not take the chance. You say you've used synthetic oils for break-in and had good luck with it, but in my opinion the break-in period is short & painless so I've never taken the chance because the benefit is non-exsistant.
    You do have a good question on why to mix the oil twice as heavy during break-in yet not use synthetic. Yamaha recommends mixing the oil twice as heavy during break-in, or at least they did on my gp1300r. I doubt twice heavy mineral oil = synthetic when comparing the properties of the oil.
    Bottom line is the reason we use synthetic oil in the 1st place is for the added wear/heat protection from less friction, and we all know that there is a brake-in period on a fresh engine. To me it's not worth the risk, BUT that's my opinion.
    Last edited by 007GPR08; 08-04-2014 at 09:49 PM.

+1
    LT1, Also, Super M as you stated is a synthetic BLEND. How much synthetic? Most synthetic 'blends' are only 20% synthetic.

Thread Information