How to reach GP1200R Carb #1 T-handle - I got fat and just barely can't reach anymore

2000 GP1200R with Island Racing carb kit with T-handles. I did use the search function and google (hours worth)

I've reached around/under pipe and got to the easy ones #2 and #3 and used to be able to just barely get a finger on #1 without removing/moving battery box - 10 years ago.

Just rebuilt carbs and need to make a 1/4 turn adjustment and just can't seem to get to #1. I lifted and rotated (primarily rotated) the battery box and can't reach it..

Besides removing the pipe, who's got a trick of the trade to rotate that sucker. I can see it easily with boroscope and the T is in a good position to be pushed/pulled lengthwise fwiw.

I did put witness marks on the carb body, so I'll be able to re-scope to check how much it moved.

Tips anyone?

+1
    Just remove the bolts holding the battery box in place, simply lift it out and set it on the engine when you want to adjust the cabs. You can get your whole arm in there now and reach all the t-handles much more easily, just put a rag on the stinger so you dont burn your arm on the stinger.

+1
    Take a coat hanger, straighten it out. bend a small u shaped end on it, like an "h". Make it about 18" long and bend a "90" on other end. You can straddle the t-handle's with it and finesse adjustments from above looking thru the gaps around the pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeking View Post
    Just remove the bolts holding the battery box in place, simply lift it out and set it on the engine when you want to adjust the cabs. You can get your whole arm in there now and reach all the t-handles much more easily, just put a rag on the stinger so you dont burn your arm on the stinger.
    Thanks Highlifeking,
    Are you suggesting using your left arm? I lay on chest from port to head at stbd. and reach down/back with right arm.
    I know if I disconn the pos+ battery terminal and pull from box, I can set box on the rear handle area.

Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    Take a coat hanger, straighten it out. bend a small u shaped end on it, like an "h". Make it about 18" long and bend a "90" on other end. You can straddle the t-handle's with it and finesse adjustments from above looking thru the gaps around the pipe.
    LT sounds interesting and I love tools, thanks.

If I am understanding correctly, the
    top of tool going down(approx 18" total) below.
    _________
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    -------
    |,,,,,,,|
    |,,,,,,,| note: please ignore the comma's to the left, every time I posted, it would eliminate the space in between the sides of the h.

LT, is the h about the correct size above and do I slip it down between carbs - where the plastic capped Allen carb bolts are. and the shove it sideways to hit one of the sides of T handle to rotate?
    Thanks, and I appreciate the blazing fast responses by you guys!
    Last edited by GpaaH; 08-03-2014 at 11:15 AM. Reason: h legs not lining up as drawn, added comma's to fix

+1
    No, the gap of the "h" is about 1/8" just wide enough to go over the tee handle part. The high screw is on top of the carb. You get the h over the tee part on one side or the other of the brass needle and twist it to make the screw rotate.
    Quote Originally Posted by GpaaH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    LT sounds interesting and I love tools, thanks.

If I am understanding correctly, the
    top of tool going down(approx 18" total) below.
    _________
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    -------
    |,,,,,,,|
    |,,,,,,,| note: please ignore the comma's to the left, every time I posted, it would eliminate the space in between the sides of the h.

LT, is the h about the correct size above and do I slip it down between carbs - where the plastic capped Allen carb bolts are. and the shove it sideways to hit one of the sides of T handle to rotate?
    Thanks, and I appreciate the blazing fast responses by you guys!

+1
    You can leave all the wires connected, just undo all the zip ties holding the wires to the hull- then you can just lift it all out and drop back in fast. Reach in with your right arm, all the way down you your arm pit and you should reach- just lay a towel on the stinger so you dont burn your chest.

Thread Information