Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I wanted a project, looks like I got one!

Hi folks, name is Dave, and yep I'm a pwc noob.

So last week I found a 93 xp on C/L for $350 with a junk trailer. I had been looking for another project and kinda been thinking about a buying a pwc. So I went and looked at it and we settled on $300.

Now starts the journey of problems, I'm loving it.

- Ski hadn't been registered in 6 years, and had been sold 3 times in that time. I was the fourth. P/O had it on the water earlier this summer though. It was interesting getting it registered.

- It needed a starter, bendix had come slap apart. Ordered one, cleaned all the metal shavings out of mag area, and installed starter when it came in. It fired right up and ran good on the hose! Cleaned fuel/water filter, new plugs, fixed oil line leak. Now we're getting somewhere.

- Warmed it up and checked compression. Mag cylinder was 148 and pto was 150. Good enough for a town this size.

-Repaired the trailer, replaced wheel studs, re packed bearings, painted it. Good to go.

- Yesterday we loaded up headed to the lake house (in-laws), make it about three miles and a tire on the trailer lets go. No biggie, I'll get new tires Monday. NOPE! Wheel rusted out, New tires and wheels on the way.

- Drug it back to the house. Paw-in-law comes and saves the day with his trailer.

-FINALLY get to the water. Runs like a scalded cat! For about 25 minutes anyway. It dies about 700 yards from in laws. He towed me in. I checked the fuel/ water filter and it had a lot of junk in it. Cleaned that out and we're off again( I stayed close this time). Ran good just tooling around, so I decided to let her eat awhile. Nope, died again. Towed in again. Fuel filter again. This whole sequence happened on more time after this.

- I said to hell with it, I'll clean the tank tomorrow at the house and pull the carbs to clean also. Started drinking.

So we swam and ate and drank. Good times for an Alabama redneck!

Fast forward about four hours and it's time to get the ski out of the water. Drug it on the trailer by hand, damn this thing feels heavy. Pop the seat and YEP, full of water. Drained it and started looking for the problem. The battery vent nipple had broke on the inside of the hull. Never even looked at it before now. Shame on me.

So I get it home and pull the plugs. Blow out the water and run it for a while to burn off the moisture. All is good down south.

Today is a new day.

Anybody got any suggestions other than cleaning the tank and carbs. I will be installing an inline filter also.

Thanks

Dave

Looks like it's the mpem. No spark when it acts up, unplugged the white wire from the mpem and it runs great. Anybody know if other years will work with the '93? It seems like it was a little different for that year.

You need to replace the old gray tempo fuel lines with new rubber fuel lines. The old ones have this inner liner that over time breaks apart and clogs filters. When you replace them be sure to clean all of the fuel filters, including the filters in the carburetors. Also clean out the fuel selector switch while you're at it. Be careful and thorough, because you can cause your motor to run lean and blow a piston, if you keep running it like this.

+1
    Can/t remember on the 93, does it have a separate rectifier or is built in the MPEM? those Mpem should be pretty cheap. Whats the number on it?

Quote Originally Posted by howardrya View Post
    You need to replace the old gray tempo fuel lines with new rubber fuel lines. The old ones have this inner liner that over time breaks apart and clogs filters. When you replace them be sure to clean all of the fuel filters, including the filters in the carburetors. Also clean out the fuel selector switch while you're at it. Be careful and thorough, because you can cause your motor to run lean and blow a piston, if you keep running it like this.
    Somebody beat me too it, all black aftermarket lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Mouse View Post
    Can/t remember on the 93, does it have a separate rectifier or is built in the MPEM? those Mpem should be pretty cheap. Whats the number on it?
    It's a separate rectifier. Number is 278000305. Found one on eBay for $199. NOPE!

I've been looking at the wiring diagram and I'm pretty sure I can bypass the mpem and keep everything but the rev limiter. If I'm successful I'll post it up. I can't seem to find anyone that has done it on one this early.

Mpem has been bypassed. Tether and gauges working. Runs good on the hose, we'll see how she does on the water Saturday.

+1
    What are you considering to be your mpem? its not possible to bypass the mpem on these skis I dont think? The mpem is a black and gret rectangle inside the electrical box with about 20 different colored wires in it.

Quote Originally Posted by blairwill4 View Post
    What are you considering to be your mpem? its not possible to bypass the mpem on these skis I dont think? The mpem is a black and gret rectangle inside the electrical box with about 20 different colored wires in it.
    I know what the mpem is. It's laying on my work bench right now.

As for it being possible, we'll see tomorrow. It runs good on the trailer.

A few things have to be changed around and the stop switch replaced with a normally open switch. My factory stop switch was gone anyway.

When I'm assured that all is well, (on the water) I'll let you know exactly how I did it.

you completely eliminated the mpem, how hard is it can you post some pics, after you let us know if it ran good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information