1996 polaris slt 700 stator wire damage question

I have a 1996 polaris slt 700 that the battery shorted out to the electrical box and burned the wires to the stator is it possible for me to splice into those wires and rewire it or would I have to replace the stator? Also I'm thinking about buying a 1993 slt 750 and am wondering if parts will swap? Trying to figure out wjat to do with my 96 as the replacement stator is very hard to find and the ignition update is far to expensive for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

+1
    Ignition / motor parts will not swap between the Domestic motors (red/Black) and the Fuji Motors (blue). If you were lucky and only the wires were damaged, it is possible to rewire. Check the stator values with a good multi meter to verify if it is still in good condition.....

How do I actually check that? It seems that only the black wire going into stator house is bad, is there any good sights to find new/used polaris parts?

+1
    eBay and posting a WTB thread in the Polaris Classifieds on Green Hulk are the two best sources. SBT sells aftermarket new stators too http://www.shopsbt.com/Polaris-Stato...022-96-99.html

I rewired it and it fired right up like it never had a problem! Guess I just burnt up the wires looks like someone had already replaced some wires before me.

I just bought a 97 slt700 that didn't have a plastic cover over the battery. The battery was low so I jumped it. Once started I replaced the electrical box, assuming it was made of hard plastic (who would put a metal box on top a battery?). That's when the small black wire from the negative terminal to the box fried. I'm hoping I got lucky and didn't damage anything in the box. My question is, what gauge/type wire should I use to replace the old one, and is it easily reconnected inside the box?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJ View Post
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    I did the same bone-head thing a few years back. I had to pull the engine because mine melted right through the grommet into the stator housing. Maybe you'll be lucky. I can't remember the wire gauge size but clip a bit of yours off and take it to the Wire Emporium to compare. Once everything was rewired it was fine. I think the wire itself is the "weakest link" so you'll likely also be good.

Thread Information