Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Niagara river Monday August 4, 2014

Launching from St. Catharines at Port Dalhousie around 11:00 today.

PM me via Greenhulk if you want to join us.

Damn. I was working. Hope it was nice! You had a great day for it until later at night.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by E.v View Post
    ... You had a great day for it until later at night.
    We were chased off the water by a fast approaching storm front complete with lightning. That was around 3:30 in the afternoon.

After eating lunch in Niagara on the Lake I forgot to check the updated forecast and weather radar (I use several iPhone apps). This was a significant error on my part.

The heavy weather that was forecasted (as of 10 in the morning) to arrive around 8:00 that night was well ahead of schedule and was already half way across the lake when we exited the Niagara River mouth. Dark skies, stiff headwind and we were riding directly into the steep wind driven waves.

I decided to take shelter on the East side of the Welland canal as the wind driven waves were getting nasty and I did not want to chance a lightning strike while racing into a stiff wind for another several miles. St. Catharines Marina in Port Weller cove became our refuge.

A gracious fellow who had just pulled out his fishing boat provided a ride in his truck back to our cars and trailers at Port Dalhousie. We drove back and managed to get the skis trailered and strapped down with the bulk of the storm rumbling nearby.

On the way home we drive through the back side of the storm. We routed around the flooded highways, still lots of heavy rain and plenty of lightning.
    Last edited by K447; 08-04-2014 at 10:06 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by E.v View Post
    ... Hope it was nice! ...
    Overall it was a good day.

The outbound ride from Port Dalhousie to the mouth of the Niagara river was entirely reasonable. Modest wave heights, modest offshore breeze, warm enough air temperatures.

Once we were on the Niagara river the primary complaint would be the stiff breeze which rippled the surface everywhere.

The large jet boats used for the thrill rides do churn up the river when they go by. It was fun to see these large boats full of soaking wet tourists do full Hamilton turns!

We went as far as the first rapids upstream from the hydroelectric power plants. Two of the riders with me were less experienced so riding through the churning and fast moving outflow waters and visible river vortexes was enough of an experience.

On the way down river we stopped at the Niagara on the Lake Sailing Club gas dock and asked if we could moor there while we had lunch. I presume they don't get asked very often by people on PWC!

The staff directed us to a quiet mooring along an old sea wall at the very back of the boat slips. Worked out very well as there was zero boat traffic back there and the water was calm. Enough room for our three watercraft.

Serviceable cleats for our dock lines and the rusting, somewhat jagged steel sea wall was tolerable. Even has shade trees I had no security concerns with leaving the watercraft there.

Brisk five minute walk to historic downtown Niagara-on-the-Lake. Next time I should remember to take shoes and street clothes...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	337914
    Last edited by K447; 08-04-2014 at 10:10 PM.

+1
    Was an awesome ride!

Round 2 on sunday if anyone is around. I work at 4 but am going out of St. Catharines early sunday.

Me and my son put in a couple times a season in Lewiston. We know the Niagara River well and have been exploring Lake Ontario. We usually do a late September or early October ride before everything turns to hell. I'll PM you if you are interested when we go next. We are coming from Hamburg NY.

Saturday anyone?

Thread Information