Sl750 reed advice, upgrade? Have stock? Spacer worth it? Where to buy gaskets 2

Hey all, awesome forum btw! New to this stuff, got a not running, just bought, all stock sl 750 with bad fuel pump (ordered). Checked the reeds (broken corners) need some gaskettos (homemade slang fer gaskets) also. The questions: How do I know if mine are stock? They are fiberglass with metal limiter plates (the curved plate on the block) and white plastic flow directing inserts in the blocks. Don't know how to put a pic on here. It looks like its never been apart, whatever that's worth. Not wanting to dump a bunch in it right now but if spacers are really worth it (depending on the price and the effect) and better reeds, then I may consider it. Where should I buy the stuff from also? I've never even ridden one of these things , so kinda wanna go cheap right now, so if stock reeds are noteably cheaper and not that much worse, I may just go that route and get it running and see if I want it better or what you know? Also, reading manufacturers info on stuff, of course makes it all sound like you want it! Oh, forgot to ask about reed spacer: is it really gonna matter much to a newbie? I could add this later without noteable extra expense maybe?...

+1
    You have the stock reeds. The aftermarket ones have dual stages, and some are carbon fiber. Gaskets are best sourced on ebay, while places like SBT sell individuals, but you get dinged on shipping.

Fuel pump is best sourced on ebay or through watcon.com

I have good used reeds and reed spacer kits if interested. If I were you, I'd do the spacers now while it is apart. Performance reeds help, but can wait.

Biggest things to do to make it reliable is fuel system work. New hoses, new fuel pump, and carb rebuilds.....

+1
    The reed spacers are definately worth installing, aftermarket reeds that fit the stock reed cages are generally no more expensive than stock ones & the best way to go.

Banned User
    +1
    The Boyeson pro series reeds work nice on the Fuji motors. They really woke up my 650

Lets do it. How much? What kind of reeds? How do we make the transaction?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    You have the stock reeds. The aftermarket ones have dual stages, and some are carbon fiber. Gaskets are best sourced on ebay, while places like SBT sell individuals, but you get dinged on shipping.

Fuel pump is best sourced on ebay or through watcon.com

I have good used reeds and reed spacer kits if interested. If I were you, I'd do the spacers now while it is apart. Performance reeds help, but can wait.

Biggest things to do to make it reliable is fuel system work. New hoses, new fuel pump, and carb rebuilds.....
    Want me to call you?

Thanks guys! I've got an mfd that's inop as well. Guess I'm gonna tear it apart, I've got voltage and ground going to it but no display whatsoever....

You can call me at 812-483-5562, Rick

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchard01 View Post
    You can call me at 812-483-5562, Rick
    Sent you a PM.....

Thread Information