Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Exclamation 2000 Yamaha GP1200 (Newbie Alert) Need all the help i can get!!!

Hello. I am new to this forum. Also new to the jetski lifestyle. Ive owned boats most of my life and know some basic on boat engines and how to repair. Anyway I got a 2000 Yamaha GP1200. The situation behind this ski is that the actual ski is a GP800 with a GP1200 engine inside. The ski does not have reverse nor a tilt steering. It had the electric tilt steering but they got rid of it. Anyway the situation behind this ski is that the previous owner did some work to it but does not know much on it. The ski has trouble starting up and wont run for to long. He told me that carburetor # 2 and 3 are not working well and he showed me how one is not getting gas at all and the other is getting really little. Anyway today i was doing some work on it and discovered that there was a gas leak coming from either the hose or the carburetor to which the gas travels. When i was buying the ski which was on sunday he said that for what ever reason there was no pressure in the clear hose which is the gas line. So now im pretty sure its because of that gas leak i found today. Anyway i am sending it to my local carb guy to rebuild all 3 since i think it will be pretty hard for me to do it. Also i wanted to know how i can check how many hours are on the ski and how to access all the info on the dash. All i know how to use is the lock out mode. And i would also like to know if there is a oil tank in the engine. I was told that there is none. The gas tank is the oil tank since you have to mix the gas with oil to a 50/1 ratio as i was told. Down below are some pics. Thank You for all the help!!! I really need it! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1417[2].jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	337904Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1419[1].jpg 
Views:	547 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	337905
    Last edited by Yamaden17; 08-04-2014 at 09:30 PM.

+1
    The carbs really arent that hard to do yourself. The hardest part for me was blindly accessing the bolts on the housing, but yours is right there. It would cost around $100 for 3 kits, and put everything back the way you take it off after cleaning the bodies. As far as accessing the hours, there should be a meter when you cycle through the clock side

The first thing that should be done if it hasn't already is a compression test.

-Carb rebuilds are easy. Make sure they come with fuel pump rebuild kits as well. The fuel pump on this ski will be vacuum mechanical, no rebuild it when you do carbs. Keep them as a rack when you clean them.

-Definitely pick up a service manual for it. You can probably get one for next to nothing thanks to the internet. The service manual will give you step by step instructions on the carb rebuild and other jobs.

If there is an oil tank it will be above the fuel tank. There was an oil tank at one time, if you don't see it it may have been removed because the ski has been converted to premix.

After you push the start button the display should come on, and hours are displayed on the bottom on the display.

+1
    If the hours dont come up then push the reset button or the little speaker and the top lines will change from volts , to hours etc.

Yes if you are remix then you dont use the oil tank from when it was oil injection rather than pre mix. There should be an oil cap like the gas cap only smaller follow the big hose there is the tank. You dont need it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
    The first thing that should be done if it hasn't already is a compression test.

-Carb rebuilds are easy. Make sure they come with fuel pump rebuild kits as well. The fuel pump on this ski will be vacuum mechanical, no rebuild it when you do carbs. Keep them as a rack when you clean them.

-Definitely pick up a service manual for it. You can probably get one for next to nothing thanks to the internet. The service manual will give you step by step instructions on the carb rebuild and other jobs.

If there is an oil tank it will be above the fuel tank. There was an oil tank at one time, if you don't see it it may have been removed because the ski has been converted to premix.

After you push the start button the display should come on, and hours are displayed on the bottom on the display.
    Can you please send me a link if the carb rebuild kits i need with the fuel pump rebuild parts as well. thankyou

Would anyone know why i get a oil low error message on the dash and it start making a alarm noise and the red light in the middle start blinking? Can it be because there i a fuel leak in one of the carbs?

+1
    low oil means you have low oil in the oil tank. Since you are running pre mix then the float in the oil tank needs to by tie wrapped in the up position as if there is a full tank of oil. That will turn of the oil light.

Its oil not fuel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1
    Saw the ski on a local page. Price was right, but he didn't list all those issues

read up.
    that motor is easy to access.
    I think 50:1 is a tad rich.

Are u on the island? Who's your carb guy?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamaden17 View Post
    Would anyone know why i get a oil low error message on the dash and it start making a alarm noise and the red light in the middle start blinking? Can it be because there i a fuel leak in one of the carbs?
    You could also just put enough oil in the tank to trick the gauge. An easy way if you don't want to open it up (this being only a simple fix to the oil light). If you would like it done properly do the complete block-off kit and tie the float.
    Last edited by Yukon_Inferno; 08-07-2014 at 11:42 AM.

+1
    A low oil light will have nothing to do with fuel or leaking carbs.
    If you don't want to blow up your new ski, get the carbs cleaned and tuned.
    Replaced any old lines. Replace zip ties with clamps.
    Make sure your oil pump is actually removed and you have a block
    off plate. Ditch the pump n lines and either zip tie the oil level float or bridge the lines. Don't leave it full of oil, etc.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information