2001 yamaha 1200 bogging/will not accelerate

I just bought a 2001 XLT waverunner, when I first got it it would not idle and had some carberation issues, so I bought a rebuilt carb from a shop and installed it and now I have other issues. It will not run at all without the choke being applied and left slightly on, it idles fine now all the time so that's not a problem any more, if I adjust the choke sometimes it will bog and not get on a plain at all, but other times as I feather the choke and throttle together it will run good for varied amounts of time (usually 10-15 minutes) and then die out of nowhere, it will start back up immediatly and then continue to die minutes later, this will happen until it wont give any time between dying. If I park it for an hour or so I may be able to go through this cycle again if it allows me to get past the bogging. I have checked for vacume leaks, changed the fuel filter, rebuilt carbs.
    If anyone has any advise I greatly appreciate it.

2000 1200 gpr 2001 800 bb gpr ddg101's Avatar
    I'm Have the the same problem but no help here ...

What is your plan of attack?

+1
    What does the hour meter say? And do you know any of the history (how long since it was ridden or running properly)? Is the ski stock? It's probably something in the carbs gumming them up, or corrosion. Today's fuels have a lot of detergents and they can wreak havoc on the carbs. We recently had to rebuild the carbs on our XLL 1200 due to this- there was corrosion and "gunk" inside, well past the inline fuel filters. The kicker is- we just rebuilt them two seasons ago. I recommend buying a rebuild kit and taking them all apart and checking all fuel lines as well. Chances are you will find the issue and it will be right as rain after. You can pick up a manual online pretty cheap and it will give you a step by step instruction, it is not difficult to rebuild.

Hi Yukon_inferno,
    thank you for your advise, I took a compression test when I had it apart to install the rebuilt carbs and it had 102 acrost the board, it has over 300 hours on it, the thing that makes me rule out engine wear is when it runs it is strong and responsive. I have heard that the fuel lines deteriorate and restrict fuel flow, do you know if this is true? And that debrit from the lines will quickly plug a rebuilt carb. I have also heard that the fuel sending unit can become partialy blocked, I am new to PWC's so I do not know if I am chasing a white rabbit.
    again thank you for your thoughts.

+1
    Possible tank vent /check valve. Loosen cap and see if it runs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark661 View Post
    Hi Yukon_inferno,
    thank you for your advise, I took a compression test when I had it apart to install the rebuilt carbs and it had 102 acrost the board, it has over 300 hours on it, the thing that makes me rule out engine wear is when it runs it is strong and responsive. I have heard that the fuel lines deteriorate and restrict fuel flow, do you know if this is true? And that debrit from the lines will quickly plug a rebuilt carb. I have also heard that the fuel sending unit can become partialy blocked, I am new to PWC's so I do not know if I am chasing a white rabbit.
    again thank you for your thoughts.
    The fuel pickups have a small screen at the bottom that could be clogged, or something in the tank floats around and covers it. And yes the lines can deteriorate over time- I would replace the fuel lines and all te zip-ties that hold them on. The fuel is sucked in like a vacuum, so if you have a weak line it could "cave in" which may be why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. There are lots of "could be" situations, so your best bet is to take the carb assembly apart and start fresh. Also, debris from the gas can form inside the carb and clog the little screen/filter inside. I recommend not riding it until you rebuild, as a lean condition could burn down the motor then your into the big $$ repairs.

Buplaux thanks, I tried that and there was no change, the reason I did was I didnt know that pressure in the tank was normal.
    It looks like I have some work to do with the fuel system, lines,screens,Ect...
    I will let you guy's know what happens.

Thread Information