1999 Ultra 150 wierd shake, vibration exhaust drone

I have a 1999 Ultra 150. Just replaced crank cases, and #1 piston and rings. I triple checked the balancer shafts when I put engine together and dots on balancers and crank were lined up. Bought ski broke and have never had an Utra before so starting kind of blind. About 4k and up rpm thing runs smooth and tons of power. Max rpm I am getting is about 6700. Power in that lower range seems ok it's doesn't seem doggy. At idle seems to shake a lot and has a weird vibration up to about 4k rpm then goes away. In same range exhaust sounds very deep. Ease up to 4k and exhaust note changes and vibration goes away. Vibration shakes whole ski it a very fast frequency or resonance. Kind of feels like one of those stick like toys that are unbalanced and you push a button and something spins causing it to shake in a fast frequency. You can see the water in foot wells, for lack of a better term dance. I don't know if this is normal, if it has engine miss or something else. Cylinder compression #1 105,#2 105, #3 110 psi. Carbs just rebuilt with kits installed. Checked impeller not bent and nothing foreign stuck in it. Checked spark output from coils all good and hot also. I don't know if engine is missing or something out of balance.

What plugs are in the ski? Early model 99 called for expensive plugs. You can look up through vin number I believe what plugs are supposed to have.

Half way through 99 the mellowed out the ignition curve so yoi can run the regular 9bres

+1
    I was going to suggest the balancer alignment, but it looks like you've covered that. Not sure what else it could be. If you don't come up with something, you might slide the engine forward, rotate the driveshaft 1/2 turn, then bolt the engine back up. Might be just enough imbalance in the engine and jet pump to set up a harmonic vibration or something.

+1
    Have you run it on one cylinder at a time to make sure all three are hitting?

Found part of problem had small piece of something stuck between reed valve and cage. Does not shake now. Has a carb problem I think from about 2k to 4k carb mixture seems off because it kind of for lack of better term stutters. at idle seems ok. Seems from off idle to maybe 10-35% throttle. Once you get close to 4k it smooths out. Pretty sure it is in relation to throttle position and rpm's just indication.

Found part of problem had small piece of something stuck between reed valve and cage. Does not shake now. Has a carb problem I think from about 2k to 4k carb mixture seems off because it kind of for lack of better term stutters. at idle seems ok. Seems from off idle to maybe 10-35% throttle. Once you get close to 4k it smooths out. Pretty sure it is in relation to throttle position and rpm's just indication.

Thread Information