xl 1200 and xlt 1200 engine questions

I'm new here and recently picked up a 1999 xl 1200 and a 2002 xlt 1200 on a double trailer. I paid $900 for all of it knowing that the 2002 wasnt running and 1999 was running rough. I got them home to start diagnosing them. On the 2002 the head cover had been removed and I put in a new battery and bumped the start button for a second or two. All 3 pistons move up and down fine, however I noticed a lot of oil pouring in on top of pistons while they are moving. What would be the cause of this?

The 1999, I checked compression and got 90 on the front, 90 on the second, and 0 on the rear cylinder. I noticed the piston wasnt moving at all. That explains why it was running rough. I know the guy I got them from had them on the lake last year and the 1999 ran fine. I do know that he did not winterize them at all. What are the chances I can just have the rear piston/cylinder fixed? Or am I looking at a complete top end rebuild or a complete engine rebuild?

+1
    Well 1st things 1st, make a list of the possible problems each ski has. You may well be looking @ rebuild on both. Make a list of the parts you know are good @ 1st glance or test. You may then decide if you should rebuild one using parts from the other. I hope you are a wrench turner, because you do have some challenges. Keep reporting back so that we may help you move forward on this project. Welcome to the Hulk.

Hi Jace,
    i am also new to the site and am no mechanic but I do know a little about engines, the 99's compression is low so the top end is ready to be rebuilt already and with one cylinder not moving dont turn it over at all. If You are lucky it may be possible to go through the bottom end as well and you can have a strong motor at a reasonable cost. I do not know about the oil injection systems (my waverunner was converted to pre mix) I would take it to a reputable shop and see if its an easy fix, depending on cost you may want to have it converted to pre mix as well. Sounds like you got a great deal!

I'm sort of a wrench turner, but mostly work on military 6.2 diesel engines. Would converting the 2002 to premix take care of the oil leaking into the cylinders?

I would have it looked at, it might be an easy fix.

+1
    No, the guys that are converting to premix are doing it to be sure oil GETS to the cyl, not that too much is going. If it has not been running, then the oil pump has been pumping but there has not been combustion to burn it off. Probably normal oil there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    I'm sort of a wrench turner, but mostly work on military 6.2 diesel engines. Would converting the 2002 to premix take care of the oil leaking into the cylinders?

+1
    With a cyl that has a piston not moving, better assume you will need a crank, pretty hard to break something enough that the piston doesn't move without damaging the crank. Total rebuild on that one.

Thread Information