Which deal should I go for? Yamaha's or Kawasaki's

Alright everyone, I realize this is in a Kawasaki thread, but I'd appreciate some objective opinions. I have the choice right now between these two setups:

-(2) 2006 Yamaha FXHO's (one has the cruiser seat and one doesn't...one says 50th anniversary) and trailer
    -they have about 215 hours on both of them and were sold as part of a deal where the owners of a very large yacht bought a new yacht and needed matching color jet skis......yeah. So they have the service records and they were well-taken care of.
    -Originally asking $12,000 for both and the trailer, I have talked them down to $10,500

Other option:

(1) 2006 Kawasaki STX 12f and (1) 2008 Kawasaki STX 15f
    -they have 15 hours on them, an older gentleman bought them for his daughers/grandaughters but they never used them. They didn't get used but it appears they weren't totally ignored as they look brand spanking new.
    -Originally asking $9,900 for both and trailer, I have talked him down to $9,000.

Please give me a few opinions, these will be my first PWC's and I don't have the wealth of knowledge that many of you do. I'm learning, but would like some people's opinions with experience. We will be using them at Tyndall AFB near Panama City and would like to use them in the bay as well as for trips to Shell Island (about 1 mile away) and also over to Panama City (3 or 4 miles away).

These are also an option at $4,400:

http://panamacity.craigslist.org/for/4567410917.html

Many Thanks! Luc
    Last edited by Lucrative; 08-05-2014 at 07:29 PM.

+1
    The XL700s will be a boring ride for you. The FXHOs have high hours and a high price. Not a bad Waverunner, but I think the 15F would be an overall better more reliable JetSki. Plus they have low hours, and are cheaper.

I am no longer hip to Yamaha Waverunners as the 1200/1300v motor has left a forever Yamaha bad taste in my mouth. So I am not sure about any upgrades or issues you need to be aware of. With the 15F all you may want to do is upgrade the pumps to the new specs to protect the engine.

Either way all of them listed here need a good thorough once over with compression and leakdown checks. I always do these checks when helping friends out buying used skis, and have found issues in the past. Another option is to go buy a new 15F, which you will start seeing 2014 leftover deals soon. I got a buddy a 2013 leftover deal back in May for $7600. Granted it's only 1 ski, but I am not sure how many you actually need..

+1
    I waz leaning towards the yamahas until read the hours.
    I like the kawasakis.
    they are very reliable.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Buy the 15F's.

+1
    The 700s are not even an option. Low power, plus one has an SBT (i.e. junk) engine.

+1
    That XL700s don't have gauges, are old-school carbureted 2-strokes, underpowered (only 85 HP), and can be hard to start if they've been sitting a while. SeaDoo Sparks will be passing you.

Meanwhile the Kawasaki '06 12F and '08 15F are dual overhead cam, fuel-injected 4-stroke motors with essentially the same engine and hull design that is still sold brand new today (2014). They will be easy to start, low maintenance, reliable and have good rough water handling. The 12F and 15F are pretty much the same ski, however, the 15F has a longer stroke and makes about 35 more HP (125 HP vs 160 HP).

It's really a no brainer. If you have the budget, go with the Kawasaki's!

If any of these skis have been sitting for more than 6 months w/o fuel stabilizer, you should drain the tanks and start with fresh fuel.

-Greg

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FlMike View Post
    Kawasakis are junk.
    You misspelled Sea Doo..

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FlMike View Post
    Kawasakis are junk.
    You misspelled Sea Doo..
    LMAO!