Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2001 Polaris Virage TX 1200 won't start.

This has been driving me crazy for two months now. Ski was running and working as it should, stored indoors all winter after winterizing. Went to start it In the spring and no spark. I've read all the posts and done all the tests. Thought it was the stator as I couldn't get a spark with the 9volt battery test. Replaced the stator. Still no spark. The engine cranks with the lanyard in or out. Bilge pump works. I replaced the LR 505 with a new one and no spark with the lanyard in or out bilge button held in or out. The brown wire test on the CDI is good.

THE ENGINE CRANKS WITH OR WITHOUT THE LANYARD. so i'm thinking some type of ground issue. I checked and cleaned the ground wires at the bottom of the engine. Tried disconnecting the blackyellow wire from the CDI that grounds it out. Took apart the lanyard kill switch and tried it open.

What am I missing
    Why is this still cranking over with or without the lanyard even with the LR replaced

Any way to test just the kill switch or start stop switch? or maybe bypass both and crank the engine by connecting two wires while the switches are removed too isolate the issue?

I don't want to throw more parts into the ski that don't need to be replaced.

Thanks for any help, or suggestions.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Did it used to crank without the lanyard in place, before the problem began?

The first thing to suspect with no spark is the battery. Check the battery voltage while the engine is cranking. Must be above 10.6 volts or you will not have spark.

Hold down the Bilge button. Do you now have spark?

The LR-505 module can be bypassed for testing. If the battery voltage is strong and the Bilge button does not help, do the LR bypass.

[QUOTE=K447;2437567]Did it used to crank without the lanyard in place, before the problem began?

Battery voltage is good. 11.7 while cranking. I replaced the LR-505 with a brand new one. I also did the bypass with no change in the issue. I don't know if it cranked without the lanyard before, i never tried it. I posted the question on the sight prior and was told that it should not crank without the lanyard on this model. That makes sense since none of the other skis i own will crank with the lanyard pulled. No spark with the bilge button depressed.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dfgtye View Post
    Battery voltage is good. 11.7 while cranking.

I replaced the LR-505 with a brand new one.

I also did the bypass with no change in the issue.

I don't know if it cranked without the lanyard before, i never tried it. I posted the question on the sight prior and was told that it should not crank without the lanyard on this model. That makes sense since none of the other skis i own will crank with the lanyard pulled.

No spark with the bilge button depressed.
    Looking at the wiring diagram for the Start switch, I think it is normal for the 2001 Virage TX engine to crank without the lanyard in place. I expect this is common across all Polaris models that utilize the LR Start/Stop modules with a combined Start/Stop switch function.

With the LR module bypassed and the Black/Yellow CDI wire disconnected there is effectively just the CDI and the stator left.

Bilge button down forces full battery voltage to the CDI Red/Purple wire, verify this is actually the case.

Since you have replaced the stator I would focus on the CDI. Make very sure the CDI has a solid electrical ground connection. With battery disconnected there should be zero ohms between the CDI Black wire and the engine case.

If the CDI is indeed receiving full battery voltage while cranking and that voltage is well above the 10.6 volt threshold then I would suspect the CDI itself.

+1
    I been looking for LR 505 by pass instructions, cant find them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kensmith View Post
    I been looking for LR 505 by pass instructions, cant find them.
    Try this

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/sear...archid=5075802

Advanced Search
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/sear...?search_type=1

User name: K447

Keywords: LR-505

Search Titles Only

+1
    ok. thanks think I found it pg 2 on Virage no start

+1
    Go oem ? or anyone else make a good lr505 ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kensmith View Post
    Go oem ? or anyone else make a good lr505 ?
    OEM is the reliable option.

It is unclear whether the aftermarket LR modules work properly. I have seen a number of cases where there were issues or it just did not work right.

+1
    ok, I was wondering they are scary cheaper!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information