new to seadoo, questions about rotax & BEST

Considering a new SeaDoo RXP and have just a few questions:

1. Does the 3 cylinder Rotax 4-TEC engines have a balancer shaft?

2. Does the BEST extended warranty cover blown superchargers & resulting damage? I don't see it explicitly listed under the "covered items":

http://www.sea-doo.com/owners/warran...oup--350117825

+1
    yes has countershaft
    the supercharger needs rebuilding every 100 hours even if brp says they are good for 200
    I bet as long as they don't find any motor/ecu mods they would cover all the motor damage
    there are seadoo dealers on this forum, maybe one will give you some warrantee info

Quote Originally Posted by nefilim View Post
    Considering a new SeaDoo RXP and have just a few questions:

1. Does the 3 cylinder Rotax 4-TEC engines have a balancer shaft?

2. Does the BEST extended warranty cover blown superchargers & resulting damage? I don't see it explicitly listed under the "covered items":

http://www.sea-doo.com/owners/warran...oup--350117825
    I just went through and am still going through BEST non coverage issues. Here's the scoop. First, BEST covers damage caused by other failures. Research the federal Magnusson Moss Act. It's about extended warranties. Most states have followed it with their consumer protection laws. It holds the maker of the warranty against the maker which means the warranty is hard to beat by the issuer though you may be told otherwise. Fight. Regarding it not being specifically mentioned, there's a theory in law that says if something is silent on an issue (like doesn't specify what's covered in detail) it's open to argument. This is an example where silence is truly golden. Given the Magnusson Moss Act being strict against warranty writers and the silence of the BEST not specifying the SC either way, it'll be a winner. In court. But ya gotta fight it. And make sure that if the SC goes you get it right to the shop and make sure your within hours. What I've done is gotten the work done and paid for it. Then contacted my Attorney General and BRP. The AG's office is a good hammer to have in your toolbox. Worked well for me on two issues. One to go.

Work: GTA ------------ ----------------- Play: Georgian Bay
    +1
    I'll let you know about #2 soon

Thanks everyone! Cruel, I'm somewhat familiar with the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act from the car industry where it's usually used to argue that warranty claims can't be denied unless it's proven the third party parts caused or contributed to the failure. New to skis though

Please lets us know how it goes RGUN & good luck!

+1
    Thanks everyone! Cruel, I'm somewhat familiar with the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act from the car industry where it's usually used to argue that warranty claims can't be denied unless it's proven the third party parts caused or contributed to the failure. New to skis though

Please lets us know how it goes RGUN & good luck!
    Thanks, based on my initial discussions with the service technician I don't expect it to be an issue but I will most definitely update the board and start a post about the entire ordeal once it's all figured out and resolved.

This has turned into a good thread. Extended warranties are cash cows for the dealers and manufacturers and they're backed by insurance companies and we all know how much fun those guys are! My ski came with a four year BEST that the previous owner paid $1680 for. My bud bought a four year BEST at a different dealer $1200 or so. Big difference eh?

+1
    Just as an update to my above post. My supercharger had a failure that led to the impeller touching slightly on the housing. When I pulled the inlet there was a very very slight amount of endplay, and a borescope revealed that the impellor was just starting to touch the housing (I may be able to post pictures later). The dealer took it in and within two weeks had it turned around and back to me with a new supercharger all covered under warranty. They claim that the bearing remained intact. They did not perform any other services saying BRP wouldn't cover an oil change, inspection of the motor, inspection of the oil pumps etc following a supercharger failure.

thanks for the feedback!

what were your symptoms when the failure occurred?

Quote Originally Posted by RGUN View Post
    They did not perform any other services saying BRP wouldn't cover an oil change, inspection of the motor, inspection of the oil pumps etc following a supercharger failure.
    hmm, that's a bit disappointing, hopefully it's all good!

also, can i ask how you broke yours in? i'm at 4 hours now

+1
    thanks for the feedback!

what were your symptoms when the failure occurred?

Quote Originally Posted by RGUN View Post
    They did not perform any other services saying BRP wouldn't cover an oil change, inspection of the motor, inspection of the oil pumps etc following a supercharger failure.
    hmm, that's a bit disappointing, hopefully it's all good!

also, can i ask how you broke yours in? i'm at 4 hours now
    I was riding along and felt a hesitation at wot and then noticed a loss of one bar on the boost gauge. Thought potentially clutch was slipping, pointed towards shore and slowed down to idle. Engine sounded clattery which then made me think bearings. Shut it down and towed it back to dock. Scoped inlet and saw impeller damage, shaft also had end play. Wasn't started again until it got a new charger.

Mechanic said no break in procedure required for new supercharger and break in wouldn't affect bearing longevity. Having said that I would say the new supercharger produced a MUCH louder whine (hope it's the charger at least). I'm 1 hour post failure now and it may have quieted down a bit.

Thread Information