Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RXPX260 Carbon Seal Wear?

Hey Fellas, I always do a through inspection after I ride. And I decided to pull my ski apart to check on things and clean it and I noticed a line and scatter dust under the carbon ring. I have a little water inside my hull from seat holes (i think) and zero cavitation. I own a 2014 RXPX with 89 hours. Am I finding the beginning signs of premature carbon? Possible engine misalignment? Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	338049

+1
    Not possible miss-alignment…..guaranteed!

Engine and or both the thru hull fitting is out of alignment causing your premature carbon ring failure and taking on water.

See this thread starting at post #332: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=170389&page=9

VERY COMMON problem and just BS that BRP has dicked this up on so many brand new skis.

+1
    Agree !!

+1
    Be glad u caught it before u sunk. Need to get mine checked out before this shit happens.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    Not possible miss-alignment…..guaranteed!

Engine and or both the thru hull fitting is out of alignment causing your premature carbon ring failure and taking on water.

See this thread starting at post #332: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=170389&page=9

VERY COMMON problem and just BS that BRP has dicked this up on so many brand new skis.
    I'm going to have to agree with you that this is a very common problem, but It's not guaranteed. I have a 2013 rxpx and sucked some things up in the pump at 4 hrs, well i thought everything was fine till later i noticed i had that same about of carbon dust in my hull. I for sure thought it was majorly out of wack with only approx 7 or so hours on the clock. I checked the alignment of everything and it was Dead nuts on! When I sucked up shit from oyster bed, it made it's way on the mating surfaces of the carbon ring and hat and this caused excessive wear. Been fine ever since I changed all worn parts. Just shedding some light to have a little hope you don't have to realign everything. I think checking alignment is a must!

The carbon rings are a wear item. You will get more carbon dust as time goes on. They are usually good for about 100 hrs after that better keep an eye on it. The rings wear and the bellows start to collapse.

+1
    My RXP-X 2013 has the same problem. It's at the dealer right now and I should get it back Saturday. The ski has 36 hours and the work should be done under warranty.
    Last edited by ProZadoX; 08-06-2014 at 08:07 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RossM View Post
    The carbon rings are a wear item. You will get more carbon dust as time goes on. They are usually good for about 100 hrs after that better keep an eye on it. The rings wear and the bellows start to collapse.
    My previous ski had 312 hours and no issue with the carbon seal.

Banned User
    +1
    You have 89 hours on that thing already? Holy crap thats a lot of riding!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    You have 89 hours on that thing already? Holy crap thats a lot of riding!!!!
    Yeah, Man! I ride everyday in summer! I will hit it by 150hrs before summer season is over! Love it and Ride it like you stole it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information