1100 STX DI problems

Hello, everyone. I've got an '00 ski that's been sitting in my garage for the last 5 years and, of course, it won't start. I've replaced the battery and removed the old gas before putting fresh fuel in it. It cranks just fine and I can hear the injectors tapping away but I'm pretty sure it's not getting any fuel. When I turn the ignition switch on I don't hear any noise coming from the fuel pump and when I pulled the plugs there was oil on them but no trace of gasoline. Not even a whiff.

I was going to pull the fuel pump out to inspect and see if I could clean it in any way (a mechanic I know tells me he's had some luck soaking varnished up parts in Techron for a few days) but to do that I need to remove the small storage box behind the handle bars. To do that I have to pull out the ignition switch. Therein lies my most immediate problem. I can reach it with my fingers (barely) but can't really get a tool on it. I think it requires a 27mm wrench but I just can't seem to get anything up in there to do the job. Is there some trick to pulling this thing out???

Thx in advance.
    Last edited by Muzzlebreak; 08-06-2014 at 06:39 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I am not highly familiar with the Kawasaki Ficht D.I. system, but the basics are similar.

Have you verified that the fuel pump is actually getting power? Fuses good?

If you dribble some gasoline (less than a treason in each) down the throats of the throttle bodies, does the engine start?

Note: keep your arms away from the engine in case of backfire after priming with gasoline. It shouldn't backfire, of course, but it is safer to press start while standing off to the side

3. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Have you verified that the fuel pump is actually getting power? Fuses good?

If you dribble some gasoline (less than a treason in each) down the throats of the throttle bodies, does the engine start?

Note: keep your arms away from the engine in case of backfire after priming with gasoline. It shouldn't backfire, of course, but it is safer to press start while standing off to the side
    Fuses are good and it's got good voltage to the pump. Haven't opened up the Throttle Body assy. yet. I'll do that next.

Or not. One of the screws is such that I don't have a wrench that I can get in there. All of my socket/wrench/extension combinations are either too tall and run afoul of the side of the hull or don't reach and there's absolutely no room to get a box wrench in there. At any rate, it seems like a wasted effort. Service manual says there should be an audible sound from the fuel pump and there is none. So I'm back to trying to figure out how to get a wrench of some sort on the back of the ignition switch nut so I can get the switch out so I can get the pocket out so I can get the fuel pump out so I can fix the ski that lives in the garage attached to the house that Jack built.

Nothing is simple and nothing is easy.
    Last edited by Muzzlebreak; 08-07-2014 at 03:30 PM.

Thread Information