Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

MSX 140 Fuel regulator repair options? ADVISE?

Need some advise on fixing/checking the fuel regular on both of my 2003 MSX 140's before I run them.

Now K447 said it took 5 hours with some teaching time to remove the steering to lift out the fuel pump to repair the regulator that had fallen off but did not need to move the tank forward.

Somewhere I saw you could cut the foam out of the front and move the tank forward to access the pump assembly without removing the steering.

Has anyone done both? Is one less aggravating than the other?

Thanks

Banned User
    +1
    I removed the steering on mine. I didnt think it was that bad. If you ever need or want some help, let me know....you aren't far away.

+1
    So removing the steering is not that bad then?

BP-Thanks for the offer. I am going to try to get the blue one done Saturday early AM then.

Banned User
    +1
    The worst part of the steering is if the t nuts behind the bolts spin when you try to loosen the bolts. Other than that it comes out pretty easy.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow More tips for repairing the Ficht fuel pressure regulator on MSX 140

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    The worst part of the steering is if the t nuts behind the bolts spin when you try to loosen the bolts. Other than that it comes out pretty easy.
    This time we clamped Vice-Grip pliers across the plastic 'rails' with the T-nut trapped in between. After some fiddling around to get the pliers exactly positioned so the T-nut was nicely held, we were able to back the bolt out without any drama.

The key is to assume the T-nut is going to spin with the bolt unless you do something first. Rotate the bolt just enough (maybe 10 degrees) to get the T-nut head squared with the plastic rails. Eyeballs on stalks required to verify the T-nut position and get the Vice-Grips perfectly positioned. Then gently turn the bolt while monitoring the T-nut. Do not press down on the bolt, let it rise as it undoes.

Incremental process improvements for Ficht fuel pump repair on MSX 140
    The white plastic egg shaped piece under the steering can be left in place. It comes off with the steering arm after fully removing the single through bolt in the arm.
    Flex the metal steering switch lever aside when reinstalling the white piece to avoid damaging the thin metal.

Pay attention to how the electrical cables and connectors are zip tied in place so you can get it all tucked away during reassembly.

Bonus improvement. Clean and then regrease the upper and lower tapered bushings and shim washers on the steering column. Grease both inside and outside surfaces of the bushings. Makes for a much smoother steering feel.
    Last edited by K447; 08-09-2014 at 07:44 AM.

+1
    Thanks K447, I am going to try Saturday AM.
    Will post results.

+1
    I have the regulator out and I am testing it with the mighty vac pump. It will pop around 20 lbs and then bleed down to around 7 lbs. Is this normal?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jajardas View Post
    I have the regulator out and I am testing it with the mighty vac pump. It will pop around 20 lbs and then bleed down to around 7 lbs. Is this normal?
    The Polaris Ficht fuel pressure regulator is designed to work against a continuous gasoline flow and pressure from the electric fuel pump. Fuel is denser than air and the fuel flow rate from the pump is significant.

The resulting fuel pressure would be slightly higher than the pressure the valve initially opens at since the valve must open far enough to flow the entire fuel return volume.

It sounds like your regulator is opening at around the correct pressure, which is the important thing. The bleed down aspect seems less important as that would only occur when the engine is shut off and the fuel pump stops.

+1
    Thanks K447. Back to putting it together.

+1
    We have success. Took me a little over 6 hours by myself to do the fuel regulator upgrade and the EMM that I just received back from Harris at http://fichtemmrepair.com/ on my blue 2003 MSX. I removed the steering and luckily for me the t-nuts did not move.

Here are few things that I did that seem to help make it easier for me by myself. I used a sink drain wrench to loosen and tighten the large ring nut on the gas tank.
    Like this http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/S...ivsaAgGQ8P8HAQ

Name:  plum wrench.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  10.8 KB

Also put a bungee around the steering cable to to hold it in place when I installed the steering clamp and put some pieces of rubber gloves to hold the bolts into the clamp. I used this trick a few times with nuts or bolts in my sockets.

Name:  ster bun 2.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  19.0 KB

Name:  glove trick.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  17.0 KB

Took it for the test ride and it runs awesome.

Thanks again to K447 and BryanP for their help and guidance on this project.

Now out to the garage to do the same to the RED MSX 140.
    Last edited by K447; 08-10-2014 at 07:30 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information