+1

Riva Valve Train Kit for 2012 4tec rxpx 260

Quick question boys,

Doing the valve upgrade...noticed that the new engines don't have the base washers for the valve springs, I'm guessing this needs to be installed for the Riva Valve kit.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....HAUST-MANIFOLD

Correct.

There are no OEM base washers, but obviously the Riva kit has them plus retainers, which both must be fitted.

+1
    Thanks for the reassurance

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
    I fitted mine myself and I've been running it hard with no issues.

Good tip, if you're doing it with the engine in the ski, block all the holes where those tiny cotters can drop into. Remove them with a magnet and set them in place with a blob of lithium grease on a fine screwdriver.

Other thing, it says to pressurise cylinder to max 80psi, I had to use slightly over 80psi to hold the valves in place. Some of the valves just compressed down, opened and let the pressure out of the cylinder. For these I just placed the tool (just loose without the frame) over the valve retainer and gave it a sharp tap with a hammer. The jolt was enough to break the friction lock between the cotters and retainers.

Finally, make sure your air supply is good. If you have a small capacity cylinder, the air pressure could drop below 80psi before the compressor kicks in, leaving you in the brown sticky stuff if you valve stem is naked at the time!

Take your time and it's a satisfying job.

Be prepared to lose a few hundred RPMs. Just need to get more boost afterwards.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tornado34 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
    I fitted mine myself and I've been running it hard with no issues.

Good tip, if you're doing it with the engine in the ski, block all the holes where those tiny cotters can drop into. Remove them with a magnet and set them in place with a blob of lithium grease on a fine screwdriver.

Other thing, it says to pressurise cylinder to max 80psi, I had to use slightly over 80psi to hold the valves in place. Some of the valves just compressed down, opened and let the pressure out of the cylinder. For these I just placed the tool (just loose without the frame) over the valve retainer and gave it a sharp tap with a hammer. The jolt was enough to break the friction lock between the cotters and retainers.

Finally, make sure your air supply is good. If you have a small capacity cylinder, the air pressure could drop below 80psi before the compressor kicks in, leaving you in the brown sticky stuff if you valve stem is naked at the time!

Take your time and it's a satisfying job.

Be prepared to lose a few hundred RPMs. Just need to get more boost afterwards.
    Good stuff!!!

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    There are no OEM base washers, but obviously the Riva kit has them plus retainers, which both must be fitted.
    Base washers are built into the valve stem seals. I've not seen Riva ever provide base washers with their VT kits

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRXP View Post
    Base washers are built into the valve stem seals. I've not seen Riva ever provide base washers with their VT kits
    Here's mine before I fitted. If you look in the Riva instructions it actually says, place one base cup, one outer spring, one inner spring and one retainer IN THIS ORDER.

It also says that remove old retainers and springs (two), that's it. Definately no removable base washers in my 2012 set up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	338193   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	338194  

Supertech don't provide them in their upgrade kit, maybe that's what you're confusing them with?

+1
    The Riva kit I've been running has base washers as well.

Thread Information