Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1

    300X Spark Plug Torque

    300X Spark Plug Torque

    Service manual is saying 115 ft lbs or torque ... for the 10mm thread!

    That is very excessive for such a small thread.... in Aluminum... not to mention the constant reports of broken off plugs....

    Suggestions please


  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    684
    +1
    7
    in lbs lol. Unless they made a typo

  3. #3
    Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    5,563
    +1
    169
    you sure it isnt inch pounds? this is direct from the 250X manual....


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spark.jpg 
Views:	747 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	338151

  4. +1 by:


  5. #4
    "just sayin".. jetdave56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    JERSEY SHORE
    Posts
    4,494
    +1
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by theherb View Post
    300X Spark Plug Torque

    Service manual is saying 115 ft lbs or torque ... for the 10mm thread!

    That is very excessive for such a small thread.... in Aluminum... not to mention the constant reports of broken off plugs....

    Suggestions please
    DO NOT torque 115 lbs!...

    Its 115 inches which you divide by 12 given you feet to pounds so it's approx 9.5 lbs of torque..

    If your torque wrench has Newton meter measurements Nm conversion(mine does) then you set it for 13 Nm..

    You'll see a lot of light torque for example 69 inch pounds for rideplate which 5.75 lbs of torque or 7.8 Nm..

  6. +1 by:


  7. #5
    Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    So. Cal.
    Posts
    5,206
    +1
    511
    Use anti-seize.


  8. #6

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    684
    +1
    7
    Yes do this and please fog remove cover use salt away fluid film and u will have a happy ass ultra

  9. #7
    new plugs seat the washer + 1/4
    old plugs, seat washer = 1/16

  10. +1 by:


  11. #8
    Spooling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    West Coast of Florida
    Posts
    1,283
    +1
    177
    Torque Wrenches are for Main and Rod Bearing Caps. I never used a Torque Wrench on spark plugs - ever.

    Seat the plug hand tight with the socket/extension combination - seating the washer - then add your 3/8" rachet to the extension and and give it "a little more" of a CW Rotation and walk away.

    Good Luck...
    ------------------------------
    PS - Like Rod says - use some of that "special sauce" on those spark plug threads

  12. #9
    "just sayin".. jetdave56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    JERSEY SHORE
    Posts
    4,494
    +1
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooling View Post
    Torque Wrenches are for Main and Rod Bearing Caps. I never used a Torque Wrench on spark plugs - ever.

    Seat the plug hand tight with the socket/extension combination - seating the washer - then add your 3/8" rachet to the extension and and give it "a little more" of a CW Rotation and walk away.

    Good Luck...
    ------------------------------
    PS - Like Rod says - use some of that "special sauce" on those spark plug threads
    Why would you not torque the spark plugs??
    Its only 9-10 lbs of torque,put a little anti seize on crush the washer bring her back up then torque 9 lbs or 13 Nm..
    I Changed them out a few times never a problem...

  13. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooling View Post
    Torque Wrenches are for Main and Rod Bearing Caps. I never used a Torque Wrench on spark plugs - ever.

    Seat the plug hand tight with the socket/extension combination - seating the washer - then add your 3/8" rachet to the extension and and give it "a little more" of a CW Rotation and walk away.

    Good Luck...
    ------------------------------
    PS - Like Rod says - use some of that "special sauce" on those spark plug threads
    Why would you not torque the spark plugs??
    Its only 9-10 lbs of torque,put a little anti seize on crush the washer bring her back up then torque 9 lbs or 13 Nm..
    I Changed them out a few times never a problem...


    my bad... I read the heading of the column (ft / lbs) ... I did not notice the inch / pounds reference next to the 115
    Thanks guys

    While were on the subject, what makes the spark plugs so dam expensive? Here in Canada the dealer wants $160 for 4.... Then again , they also want $150 for an exhaust filter that sells for $65 in the USA..... Kawasaki Corp ignores the whole USA/Canadian Dollar parity issue.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Ultra 250X/260X/300X Spark Plug Torque
    By meangreenman in forum Kawasaki Tech Tips and Info
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-27-2017, 12:56 PM
  2. My 2013 Ultra 300x book has a Misprint in Spark plug Torque setting page 151
    By rod_rod in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-26-2015, 11:45 PM
  3. VXR/S Spark plug torque question
    By jmneill in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-06-2015, 12:31 PM
  4. 2000 Gp1200R Spark Plug Torque Spec
    By ramairformula74 in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-06-2014, 08:38 AM
  5. Ultra-300x Spark Plugs, Grease for Boots and Anti-Sieze
    By Spooling in forum Kawasaki Open Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-30-2013, 06:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •