1997 SL 1050 with ignition update has weak spark, runs poorly

Hey, I'm knew to this and have done a ton of reading on the forum trying to find my problem. I recently purchased a 97 sl 1050. Two weekends ago I took it out and it ran great. I went out again last weekend. When I started out it was boggy and would only go about 40 mph. I stopped for a minute and started it again and it ran perfect. I stopped again after about 15 minutes of riding and it was boggy again and has been ever since. The machine is only running on the first and third cylinders. I've checked spark at every plug. There is very little spark at any of them. But the machine will start and run on just the front cylinder. I unscrewed the spark plug connectors and cut about a quarter inch off each one. It didn't make any difference on spark.
    When reading through the forum I found that bad stators are a common problem with these units. From what I have read on here and a bit more researching I am pretty positive this machine has had the stator upgrade kit already installed. It connects into an 8 pin CDI box. I've tried doing the ohms testing on the stator but this is now where things start to get very confusing for me. The black ground wire has been cut off and doesn't run to my CDI box anymore. Is this correct?
    And if so what color of wire is now used for the ground wire when doing the tests. And also what tests and readings should be used?
    Also is there any way to test to see if the CDI box is bad?

Thanks for your help!
    Vince

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

The stator ohm test are done from inside the electrical box, with the main battery disconnected.

Black is still ground, but it comes from the stator via a Black wire.

Unplug and inspect that inline connector in the stator cable. Look for signs of corrosion or wire damage. Reconnect to do the stator ohm tests.

Hey! Thanks for your reply!
    I will disconnect the battery when I do my tests! Didn't realize I had to do that!
    I have been in the electrical box though and my black wire doesn't run into it anymore. It's been cut off outside the box. Is this still ok and what I use?
    Do you know what the readings should be or are they the same as in the 97 service manual?
    Thanks for your help!

+1
    The cut Black wire is normal. There is another one in the stator cable wire bundle.

Ok mine doesn't have the black one coming in, unless I'm missing something! I have red, blue, gray, brown, purple, green, yellow and red/purple.
    Unless the black comes into the box in a different spot but I can only find that cut black wire in the harness.
    Lol sorry it's just really starting to drive me crazy.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnyM View Post
    Ok mine doesn't have the black one coming in, unless I'm missing something! I have red, blue, gray, brown, purple, green, yellow and red/purple.
    Unless the black comes into the box in a different spot but I can only find that cut black wire in the harness.
    Lol sorry it's just really starting to drive me crazy.
    There should be a Black wire in that cable bundle to the stator. Is there a burned wire that used to be Black?

I've looked all through it and can't find another black wire coming in with the stator wires. The only one is the one that's been cut. It looks like it has got hot and melted some of the plastic that is around it where it has been cut though.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnyM View Post
    I've looked all through it and can't find another black wire coming in with the stator wires. The only one is the one that's been cut. It looks like it has got hot and melted some of the plastic that is around it where it has been cut though.
    Melted or burned Black wire typically means the battery box was allowed to short to the battery terminals. This happens when the plastic battery cover is omitted.

Sounds like the stator wire bundle has been damaged and the ground wire in the cable has been burned off or cut away.

Ok that makes sense, cause this machine doesn't have the battery cover. So that would be the cause of the melted black wire that's been cut.
    My black wire wouldn't be a different color coming in by chance would it?
    If it is missing the black wire would that be the problem? I'm just curious why it ran so good the first weekend.
    Thanks for all your help!

Thread Information