Angry 96 SLT780 Ignition problems

Currently having a issue with m7 96 SLT780. Went to get on it the other day and the damn thing would not start. Last time I rode it was about a week prior and it was running great when i put it on the lift. When it would start i went ahead and changed the plugs because it seems to foul the plugs about once a a summer thinking that would fix it like it normally does but it didn't. I went ahead and cleaned the carbs and carb filter still nothing. Has plenty of gas and oil. I am wondering if this is a fuel problem and it is just not getting fuel. Wanted to know if any one has any input on what is causing this before i pull it out of the water and start ripping into it. Thanks for the help.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Does it have strong spark?

I took it out of the water so i could get a better look at things. It is actually getting gas but i can not see a spark at all. The motor will crank but will not turn over. I took the stop kill switch apart and tested it and it does not seem to be getting power. I also took the electrical box apart hoping a fuse in there was just flipped or the breaker but everything was okay in there too. Put everything back together and went to test to see if it would start and it would only crank and now the digital display is not working.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rollincoal90 View Post
    I took it out of the water so i could get a better look at things. It is actually getting gas but i can not see a spark at all. The motor will crank but will not turn over.

I took the stop kill switch apart and tested it and it does not seem to be getting power.

I also took the electrical box apart hoping a fuse in there was just flipped or the breaker but everything was okay in there too.

Put everything back together and went to test to see if it would start and it would only crank and now the digital display is not working.
    There is no battery power to the ignition kill lanyard switch. It simply grounds the Black/Yellow wire to kill ignition.

Switches and wires can generally be tested working from the electrical box with a meter, normally there is no need to disassemble the actual switch.

The MFD is powered through a fragile 1/4 amp fuse. Replace only with another 250mA rated fuse, not a higher Amp rating.i suspect the fuse has failed.

See my signature links and the Tech/FAQ sections for info on diagnosing the Fuji engine ignition system.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rollincoal90 View Post
    I took it out of the water so i could get a better look at things. It is actually getting gas but i can not see a spark at all. The motor will crank but will not turn over.

I took the stop kill switch apart and tested it and it does not seem to be getting power.

I also took the electrical box apart hoping a fuse in there was just flipped or the breaker but everything was okay in there too.

Put everything back together and went to test to see if it would start and it would only crank and now the digital display is not working.
    There is no battery power to the ignition kill lanyard switch. It simply grounds the Black/Yellow wire to kill ignition.

Switches and wires can generally be tested working from the electrical box with a meter, normally there is no need to disassemble the actual switch.

The MFD is powered through a fragile 1/4 amp fuse. Replace only with another 250mA rated fuse, not a higher Amp rating.i suspect the fuse has failed.

See my signature links and the Tech/FAQ sections for info on diagnosing the Fuji engine ignition system.
    I have looked all over the forum trying to find a little bit of info on my problem and everything i have tried still is not working. I checked the fuse for the MFD and it is not blown, still is not wanting to work. Maybe i have missed something on here that would help diagnose this issue.

+1
    Some diagnostics are needed. Follow the battery voltage from the thin red wire through to the MFD and also verify the black wire grounds are actually grounded.

The best way to check the fuse is to remove it from the terminal board and confirm the fuse has zero ohms end to end. Then reinstall and confirm there is battery voltage between the MFD Red/Purple wire and the MFD Black wire.

Also check that you have not accidentally moved or disconnected a wire inside the electrical box during your previous investigations.

thanks for the help hopefully i can track this problem down!

Thread Information