Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

300X alternative Spark Plugs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300X E3 Plugs.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	338227
    Here in Canada, a major dept store called 'Canadian Tire' is the place to go if your looking for a large selection of automotive related products.

I was looking for NGK PMR9B... the dealer here wants $160 for a set of 4. The guy at Cdn Tire input the make / model (Kawa 300X 2011) into his computer and up popped the NGK PMR9B that they do not carry, but an alternative option made by a spark plug company called 'E3' (model 18-3417) came up.... for $9 each. a fraction of the cost

Does anyone have experience with this? Am I asking for trouble here? Is it a good way to save a few $$$?

See company logo attached

As always, thanks for your input guys !

Banned User
    +1
    Never heard of them, you could always go with the ngk cr9ek (ngk 4548 ) which in the states is around 6$ a plug. I use them exclusively and have never had a problem

3. +1 by:

+1
    The NGK # CR9EIX is a good substitute for the OEM Supplied Plug - namely NGK # PMR9B

Here's an old thread started by "Skully" - speculation was that he was NMR:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184081

+1
    Just make sure they are the same length and heat range

+1
    I spent less than 50 bucks when I found the proper plug on ebay, set of 4 of course. I would really like to know why Kawasaki Engineers picked this plug that only has 2 total applications per NGK, but there has got to be a legit reason. So I'd stick with what they call for. I do however carry a spare set of the CR9 plugs in case I get in a jam.

+1
    Just type in cross reference spark plugs on google and a website will come up that you can put in manufacturer and number and it will cross reference all brands that are compatible from autolite to champion and many more.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooling View Post
    The NGK # CR9EIX is a good substitute for the OEM Supplied Plug - namely NGK # PMR9B

Sparkplugs.com lists the NGK 4717 PMR9B Double Platinum Spark Plug for $14US each.

NGK 3521 CR9EIX Single Iridium Spark Plug is $8US each.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by theherb View Post
    ... Here in Canada, a major dept store called 'Canadian Tire' is the place to go if your looking for ...
    In my experience, Canadian Tire mainly offers cheaply made products and marginally correct information often combined with doubtful advice.

When I do find myself in one of their stores, I rarely find the experience or the products satisfactory.

+1
    I ran the E3 spark plugs in my SXR and 09 STX. They worked pretty good. The 2 I started with in my SXR only lasted one season though. One of them broke right where it sparks (I am drawing a blank on the official name). Luckily it didn't fall into the cylinder.

In my STX, they worked good. No issues.

I ended up switching back to NGKs on both because they are easier to find and they last longer. I don't always change my plugs every year especially if they look good when I take them out.

Anyway, the design of the e3 is definitely better than a conventional setup. They've done quite a bit of testing and what I have seen, they are more efficient than a conventional design.

Now if they can restore some confidence for me in the reliability area, I might switch back.
    Last edited by K447; 08-10-2014 at 09:14 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHaag View Post
    I ran the E3 spark plugs in my SXR and 09 STX. They worked pretty good. The 2 I started with in my SXR only lasted one season though. One of them broke right where it sparks (I am drawing a blank on the official name). Luckily it didn't fall into the cylinder.

In my STX, they worked good. No issues.

I ended up switching back to NGKs on both because they are easier to find and they last longer. I don't always change my plugs every year especially if they look good when I take them out.

Anyway, the design of the e3 is definitely better than a conventional setup. They've done quite a bit of testing and what I have seen, they are more efficient than a conventional design.

Now if they can restore some confidence for me in the reliability area, I might switch back.
    I am very much doubtful that the E3 spark plugs provide real world improvements of any significance compared to new NGK spark plugs of the correct OEM spec.

Certainly any time old spark plugs are replaced with fresh spark plugs the engine can seem to run better.

The E3 web site is chock full of extraneous information and rather short on actual data. 'Competitors spark plugs' is generic and prevents others from replicating the studies or disproving the reports. I expect NGK would be happy to disprove claims that E3 is a better product, but E3 does not make such a specific claim.

I have yet to find reasons to not use genuine NGK spark plugs. Certainly engine damage from a broken spark plug could greatly exceed the savings from installing less expensive non-NGK spark plugs!

Recently on a group ride one of the machines suddenly lost power. Turns out a spark plug had cracked and the insulator was now loose. Engines have heavy vibration and sometimes an old spark plug can simply fail from age. This particular engine had not received fresh spark plugs each spring. It failed 'unexpectedly' but there would have been no failure had the plugs been replaced with new at the beginning of the season.
    Last edited by K447; 08-10-2014 at 09:51 AM.

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information