Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Typical Cost To Install Rods/Pistons?

With a few guys losing motors this past season - I am thinking of adding rods and pistons to my 40 hour SHO, prior to turning up the boost & RPM's into the danger zone.

Wanting to go with the CP/Molnar route, so $1550 right there. So what is the average total cost to R&R, and install the rods/pistons, with any machine work etc?? Also, would doing the main & heads studs now be recommended as well? (another 4 bills) Will be running a ET18 wheel, R4 flash, and SS springs & retainers with either RPM setup.

I am really on the fence whether to prop it down to be safe with the OEM assembly @8800ish. Or to just invest more $ into doing a preventative rebuild - to spin 9200 plus & still avoid the boom.. (If I can substantiate swinging the cash to do so now)
    Last edited by WP3223; 08-09-2014 at 07:08 AM.

+1
    Well guess my ass will chime in ...

First.. Are You rebuilding Your motor because it's done, or preventive disaster ?

pistons cp's are Top Notch!!! rods require ( balancing of crank to do it properly) and that will mean You plan On running Your motor at 10k RPM.

IMO CP Pistons stock rods, solid build, up top proper springs,retainers, good cams and walk away

+1
    do as you are suggesting, i went with molnar and je pistons, fit the stud kits, you will need the tool to get the pulley off the back, i made one, a set of bottom end bearings and a head and oil pump gasket, you will also need to hone out the bores 5 to 8 thou, then you good to go i had my head ported as well and fitted a set of valves.

+1
    My rods and pistons just arrived, Went with the CP's $865usd from Greenhulk store (cheers jerry) and Got a set of 4 K1 H Beams for $385usd from another online store
    all in all $1250 isnt too bad on the scale of things.

But remember you still need to purchase big end and rod bearings and for the extra bit of coin a ARP Stud kit to hold it all snug.
    what ever your budget it just about double it and your close to your final bill. Im finding this out now

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SLAP~YA View Post
    My rods and pistons just arrived, Went with the CP's $865usd from Greenhulk store (cheers jerry) and Got a set of 4 K1 H Beams for $385usd from another online store
    all in all $1250 isnt too bad on the scale of things.

But remember you still need to purchase big end and rod bearings and for the extra bit of coin a ARP Stud kit to hold it all snug.
    what ever your budget it just about double it and your close to your final bill. Im finding this out now
    True in His case does He need Rods???? Is He running Turbo??? Does He plan on Balancing His crank Etc??? All those things come into play when You want to "properly" build a motor.

can you build a motor without balancing equating etc sure go for it!!! Will it run yes good maybe, does He need Rods on 20 Psi or less boost no!!!

+1
    What he said ^^^^ its the simple things that are usually left out of the rebuild equation that add up to a proper built motor v a slapped together hotty! machine work on the head, block and rotating assy are so crucial and can sometimes be the most time consuming things to get right and thats where the labour costs hit... I originally thought 5-6k to get the motor done and the way its looking now realistically will be more around the 8k back on the water.
    Im gonna swing mine to 9000 so im not cutting corners and ending up with another hole in my block

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SLAP~YA View Post
    What he said ^^^^ its the simple things that are usually left out of the rebuild equation that add up to a proper built motor v a slapped together hotty! machine work on the head, block and rotating assy are so crucial and can sometimes be the most time consuming things to get right and thats where the labour costs hit... I originally thought 5-6k to get the motor done and the way its looking now realistically will be more around the 8k back on the water.
    Im gonna swing mine to 9000 so im not cutting corners and ending up with another hole in my block
    All a Gamble !!! I got a BB IN my garage now that actually was my dad's block .

we are pushing 50 PSI + Boost 8 k HP On Funny fuel

+1
    My engine is currently fresh. Stock boost @ 40 hours. Just wanting to install the piston & rods to prevent things from possibly getting really expensive later.

So I figure around 2k for the CP's, Molnar rods, and studs. Just trying to determine around what the total cost to r&r the engine, install the assembly & machine work expenses will be??

I don't mind paying to do things right the first time (before even raising the boost/RPM's). Just trying to determine how much I really wanna invest in the ski for another safe 500rpm's. I am only waiting on one final part to get the rest of the ET18 "build" done. So now I just have to decide whether I want to sink another **3-4K** to build the motor now? $ flow that could otherwise be spent on some of my other motor sports & interests.

Honestly if the SVHO's had not changed the game this year I would just prop it for 8800, hope for 85mph (CC/Offshore setup) & call it a day. But have a feeling the first time I get smoked that it will become necessary to spin er up high to hang with the big dawgs.. Decisions, decisions
    Last edited by WP3223; 08-09-2014 at 07:24 PM.

+1
    I hope I'm not the ass keep the stock rods, mark them accordingly on the crank. Hone ( standard bore always if possible). Once again why are You wanting the rods???

+1
    My 13' does have the same Rods as the SVHO's. I originally wanted to cheap out & just install pistons. But figure why not invest the extra $700 in the Molnars while it's apart, and not have to ever really worry about a window at 9250 & 22#.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information