Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

97 xp killing starter soleniods

I had an issue in the spring that turned out to be a bad starter solenoid. Looks like I killed another one 3 months later. Getting the same click coming from the sealed box that houses it when trying to start. Anyone know of a reason why these may be failing? Or just bad luck?

+1
    may not be a bad starter relay. Test it.

+1
    Buying cheap solenoids will do that to ya... been there. A borderline bad starter that draws too much current will destroy them at an accelerated rate too...

+1
    I replaced it with an OE solenoid straight from the local seadoo dealer in Roseville. So I didn't go cheap. I tried crossing the two terminals and still get the same click. I'm starting to worry it's something else because I think bridging the terminals should have bypassed the solenoid. I'm off on Saturday finally so I'm going to take the xp to them. I hope that's all it is. Is there a way to test for a frozen engine or bad starter?

+1
    Also I tried checking the malfunction beeps by pressing the start button 6 times. Only get the single long tone. Which means all ok. I'll update more this Saturday. Thanks for any insight you guys have. It's all appreciated.

If you jumped the lugs on the secondary side of the solenoid it should have turned over. Check the battery connections, battery charge level and grounds.

+1
    Grab the pto and see if you can rotate by hand, May want to pull sparkplugs. Sounds like starter to me, however..You stated you crossed the terminals you shouldn't have gotten any click, starter is going to spin or not. again you May want to pull plugs I have had them spin over with plugs out but not in = bad starter. Make sure you have a good battery, verify with volt meter if possible
    Last edited by xxx2; 08-15-2014 at 04:06 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by OC seadoo View Post
    I replaced it with an OE solenoid straight from the local seadoo dealer in Roseville. So I didn't go cheap.

I tried crossing the two terminals and still get the same click. I'm starting to worry it's something else because I think bridging the terminals should have bypassed the solenoid.

I'm off on Saturday finally so I'm going to take the xp to them. I hope that's all it is. Is there a way to test for a frozen engine or bad starter?
    When you jump across the two heavy studs on the solenoid there should be some heavy sparking. If there are sparks but the engine does not rotate then the starter motor may be seized.

Other things that can jam a starter motor or bad Bendix gear or the engine itself. Sometimes the jet pump will seize and prevent the engine from rotating. The check for these is whether you can turn the engine coupler/drive shaft by hand. Take the spark plugs out to make it easier to turn the engine by hand. If you cannot rotate the engine by hand then something is seized and you need to figure out what.

+1
    I had the local seadoo dealer check it out today. Battery is good. He checked the solenoid and tried to bridge the two terminals like I did and got nothing. Just the click coming from the solenoid. He said that it's a bad starter based on that I have power going in but the starter isn't drawing power past that....so I guess I'll just start there but it seems like a bitch to replace it. I bet there already is a thread on replacing a starter on a 97xp but any advice would be appreciated. Looks like I'm done for the year and going to have to tackle it this winter.

+1
    It was pretty simple to pull the starter out. Local seadoo dealer wanted to charge 4 hours @ $110 an hour for a job that took under half an hour to remove. All that's needed is a 6 mm Allen socket, 13mm & 10mm end wrench. There's a good YouTube video where the guy does it I under 6 1/2 minutes. But the key is to remove the air intake box so there's room. Now I can get to all the remaining grey tempo fuel lines while I'm in there. Anyone have a preference on aftermarket starters? I hate ordering online and like to support shops but it's tough to swallow double the cost prices. If you guys had to purchase a starter where would you buy it?

Also. I was able to roll the flywheel with my fingers(spark plugs out). But crap there were some metal shavings down there.....what do you guys think about that?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information