Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

HELP ME PICK! 2014 RXP vs 2014 FZR

Hello everyone!

I am new to skis and also to this forum. Im sure you got this question a lot, but i just want to explain how my situation is here.

Im going to stay in Bahrain all summer long and, I always wanted to buy a jet ski. For those of you not familiar with Bahrain its an Island in the Middle East. Right next to Saudi Arabia. So the water is warm and a lot of salt, the water can be calm and rough.
    no rivers at all.

I visited the Yamaha dealership, to ask about there 2014 line up they were all sold out, and only had the 2013 FZR.
    after talking with the manager he managed to get a hold of a 2014 FZR from Kuwait. The ski has 6 month warranty. comes with a life jacket less then the Seadoo. Price is $2,000 dollars more the the Seadoo. Since they are getting it from Kuwait. I also heard that the Yamaha service centre in Bahrain are more expensive then the Seadoo.

The Seadoo comes with a 1 year warranty, one extra life jacket. and i heard there service centre is very good. But i heard mixed reviews that the electronics in the Seadoo is very fragile. and that the yamaha is much more reliable. I know the Yamaha is more reliable but I'm thinking of keeping it for 4 years then getting a newer model. I wasn't considering the Seadoo until i saw the price difference. Also for the cruise control and the break system. I really didn't think they were important till i went out and saw that the cruise control will help with long distance, and the break system will help by the dock.

The fastest ski i drove was a 2013 Seadoo 215. There all sold out of the 215 and they only have the Spark and the 2014 260.

I just wanted to know, what ski is better for salt water, rough water, long distance, comfort, and all round everything. Please explain like your explaining it to a 5 year old because i don't know anything about Skis.

Thank you guys so much!
    Hope to hear from you soon,
    Bluegrana.

The most interesting man in the world. Nils888's Avatar
    +1
    They are both good PWC's in stock form. If you are into modifying the Yamaha might be a better choice. But if you going to leave it Stock it is a tough choice.
    Both are supercharged and both have Supercharger clutch issues. Yamaha has open loop cooling. the Seadoo is closed loop. This means the Yamaha uses sea water
    to cool the engine block. The Seadoo uses a Heat exchanger in the ride plate to cool the engine. All this means is you need to make sure you flush the Yamaha after riding
    it in the Sea. The Seadoo is not as critical in this. But you should still flush it with salt away.

You should ride both before you make a decision.

+1
    RXP-X hull will handle the rough the water better and better handling over the FZR.

Icontrol center on the Seadoo's are pretty sweet. Brake and reverse system is very easy to use for anyone. FZR has both reverse and throttle on the same side of the ski, its odd and design flaw no matter what anyone says when you want to use reverse.

2014 FZR is an easy ski to make do 80-82MPH and cheap to do. But if it can't stayed hooked up in the ocean all the power in the world won't make a difference. RXP-X is fairly easy and cost effective to hit about 75MPH. After that it starts to get expensive for every 1-2MPH after that.

Get out and ride both. See if you can spend a good half hour to hour on each.

No matter your choice your going to have a sweet ski.

+1
    If you are open water rider go for the rxpx. If you buy them new I assume you will not start upgrading so us not to void warranty. When warranty is over go for some mods and stick at 73-74 mph. Seadoo ias way a better ski in rough waters, what year is the seadoo. If properly maintained you will have no problems. ( wash after every ride..DONT KEEP THE ENGINE RUNNING IN SWALLOW WATERS!. Seadoos are not build to run on sand! I have seen people even using the brake in swallow waters..when you brake in this conditions, you literally guide all the sand into the intake grate and pump area= destroyed drive line..

+1
    If you are open water rider go for the rxpx. If you buy them new I assume you will not start upgrading so us not to void warranty. When warranty is over go for some mods and stick at 73-74 mph with the seadoo. Seadoo is way a better ski in rough waters, what year is the seadoo? If properly maintained you will have no problems. ( wash after every ride..DONT KEEP THE ENGINE RUNNING IN SWALLOW WATERS!. Seadoos are not build to run on sand! I have seen people even using the brake in swallow waters..when you brake in this conditions, you literally guide all the sand into the intake grate and pump area= destroyed drive line.. But if I was asked I would buy seadoo RXTX 2013 and over..best choice ever. Faster than both you mentioned and way better at rough waters. RXPX IS A HELL OF A SKI when considering closed course racing..

+1
    Thank you so much Nils888!
    I don't think ill modify them at all. I will for sure not modify them during the first year. Flushing your Ski here after the salt water is something normal. We do it every time, we leave the water so flushing isn't a problem at all. Its a bit hard to drive both since i don't know anyone who owns these skis, I drove the 2013 Seadoo 215 and it was really good for me. really fast i didn't think at any time that i need more power. I am leaning towards the 2014 RXP more. Ill visit the dealer tomorrow make him an offer. If he accepts ill just go with the Seadoo.
    Thanks again so much! I will keep you updated.
    Blue.

+1
    Thank you Skylolow.

I know the RXP Icontrol is much better. Im not looking for top speed anything that will do 70MPH is perfect for me. When i drove the 2013 Seadoo 215. I didn't think that i will need more power at anytime. Im leaning towards the Seadoo more. I will let you know what happens thanks again.
    Blue.

+1
    Water in Kuwait is always rough so your going to enjoy the RXPX more. Especially if leaving them stock. There are many more bells and whistles on the Seadoo so there are a few more things to go wrong of course. If it were flat water riding I might lean more to the Yamaha if it were an SVHO.

Is there any way to get an extended warranty?

+1
    I don't think ill upgrade at all, and i will certainly don't upgrade the first year. The Seadoo is a 2014 Seadoo RXP-X 260 brand new. thanks for the tip about the sand and the break. Im not looking for a 3 seater. I an leaning towards the Seadoo more. I will visit the dealer tomorrow and let you know. Thanks again for the tips!
    Blue.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrana19 View Post
    I don't think ill upgrade at all, and i will certainly don't upgrade the first year. The Seadoo is a 2014 Seadoo RXP-X 260 brand new. thanks for the tip about the sand and the break. Im not looking for a 3 seater. I an leaning towards the Seadoo more. I will visit the dealer tomorrow and let you know. Thanks again for the tips!
    Blue.
    You won't be dissapointed!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information