Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

OMG! Pushed out the rear seal on Wave Venture 1100. Please help!

I just rebuilt this motor and have about 5 hours on it. It ran excellent till my last run at the lake a few days ago and it just died and wouldn't re-fire. I thought it was because I was almost out of fuel and I switched to reserve and had air in the fuel lines. Then after messing with it at home it just wasn't sucking fuel from the tank. I thought it was the fuel pump. Then today in the process of removing the fuel pump I just had a weird feeling about the seals and thought I should check on them. I took a flashlight and looked down between the case and the PTO cover and sure enough the rear seal is half way pushed out on one side which explains the lack of pulse to the fuel pump. My heart sunk!

I think I know what caused this. I bought a flush kit/hose to run it in the driveway and did this before my last trip to the lake. Unlike my outboard boat motor you are not supposed to turn the water on until you start the motor, well I did the opposite out of habit and I believe water entered the motor from the exhaust. I could hear the motor kind of hydraulic locking and pinging when it fired. After a few seconds that stopped and it ran fine. Do you guys think this is what pushed that seal out?

All that said - Can I tap that seal back in with maybe some sealant on it or am I doomed to having to having to tear the whole motor down again? I realize the seals have ridges on them which seat in the case haves but I don't know if people pop new seals in these things from the outside when necessary or what?

I am extremely upset about this - Please help ASAP. Thanks!

+1
    It is a common problem with the 1100 and 1200 motors... I see them popped out all the time.

Unfortunately you are going to need to pull the motor and install some new seals.

I always put a little 1211 sealant around the seals on 1100/1200 non pv motors because of this problem

+1
    Omg.... I figured. This is almost more than I'm willing to deal with.

Are you saying splitting the cases or can they be put in from the out side?

And if the cases need to be split, can I flip the motor upside down and just pull off the bottom section of the case?

I used yamabond 4 to seal the cases which was recommended by the dealer and also coated the outside of the seals. They said yamabond 4 is the exact same product as threebond just a different package. What do you think is the reason for the seal to pop out?

+1
    yes, flip the motor, split the cases and lift the crank up

lol. have fun cleaning up that yamabond 4 (same as hondabond 4), and no its not really the same but it works. I dont use it because its a bitch to work with.

+1
    Why do you think the seal popped out? I'm not willing to do this every 5 hours! With what I explained what do you think caused it? Is there anything more I can do to ensure it doesn't happen again?

I spent the last 2 hours getting the motor ready to pull. Not quite as bad as I thought since I've already been thru this once but still all in all a major undertaking.

+1
    Btw - if I decide to pull the head to check o0n things, can I re-use the head gasket? Maybe some copper spray? It was a WSM gasket set.

+1
    I don't think that head gasket is like the newer GPR's which are reusable. Gonna need a new one. I have seen the rear seal pop out before and I think that boat had taken in some water same as yours and another one had an ignition problem and was backfiring real bad which is what took it out. Like WFO said, be sure you get the seal grooves clean and use sealer and around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by trxxx250r View Post
    Btw - if I decide to pull the head to check o0n things, can I re-use the head gasket? Maybe some copper spray? It was a WSM gasket set.

8. +1 by:

WFO

+1
    Alright, well everything is out of the boat except the motor till I can get some help tomorrow.

You guys think I can use aftermarket seals such as the WSM's I used from a kit last time or should I use OEM? Does it really make a difference? I know in other applications aftermarket bearings and seals are sometimes superior to oem...

Also, what if the existing seals look perfect (using a magnifying glass, calipers, etc.. to check), would it be acceptable to reuse them? They only have a few hors on them.

+1
    Here are pics of the pushed out outer seal and disassembly of the motor via photobucket -

http://s893.photobucket.com/user/trx...?sort=3&page=1

Curiously though, the inner seal was perfectly in tact. Maybe pressure blew thru the inner portion of the inner seal and it stayed in place but it popped the outer one out...?

One good thing is I see no signs of heat. Also, I thoroughly inspected the motor and there wasn't any sign of leakage of fuel or water anywhere. I'm pretty stoked about that, that motor build was tight!

Btw - What is the purpose of the double seal? Is there something other than the obvious, double protection? I've never seen that on any other motors I've worked on... I think it's smart but is their a particular reason unique to PWC?

Please all techs look at the seals and their orientation and let me know if they were installed correctly. Personally I don't see how they could not have been because the grooves in the case only allow for one way to install them. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, if you see anything else I need to pay attention too, please let me know. I have a really crappy job of cleaning all the surfaces yamadond 4 and thread sealant but I've bean treating it with chemical to help soften it up. Any suggestions on what works best to remove it?

One thing I've been fighting with is trying to get all the crank bearings to sit down on their pins as I've tried test fitting it before I put the new seals in. I've not been able to do it, it's fighting me big time. Is this a major PITA because the pistons are on it??? Is there any suggestions you guys have to help with this?

Thanks, Darryn

+1
    I only use OEM seals on this motor because they are prone to come out. I cant really tell you why they come out but I suspect its because of the known 1100/1200 idle vibration issue.

Also looking at your pics, you seem have the wrong seal in the wrong place. The inner seal keeps pressure from coming out of the inside of the case where the outside seal protects anything from coming into the case from the outside. The outer seal usually has the raised "notches" shown in your pic of the remaining inside seal

On cleaning that yamabond, just a razor blade and elbow grease, and maybe some carb cleaner to try to soften it up

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information